This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
As we age, the inevitable march of time often brings about unwelcome grey hairs that stick out like a sore thumb. For those seeking to knock back their salt-and-pepper look without reaching for dyes and tints, there are products on the market designed specifically to stop grey hair from sticking out.
In this article, we’ll share our top tips on how to keep gray hair under control with five specially chosen products – plus some advice from experienced colorists who have gone through the transition themselves!
We’ll cover Camille Chatterjee’s experience with gray hair, Vicki Crafton’s color plan before going gray, and Julia Burke’s tips for prolonging color between dye jobs, as well as Kelly Roberts’ transitioning journey into natural silver locks.
Plus, learn more about understanding causes of frizzy grey strands before exploring various haircare options available when it comes to choosing suitable colors and managing texture. Finally, find missteps you don’t want to make in order to avoid bad results or frustration down the line.
Read on for all your graying needs!
Table Of Contents
- Key Takeaways
- Top 5 Products to Stop Gray Hair From Sticking Out
- Camille Chatterjee’s Experience With Gray Hair
- Vicki Crafton’s Color Plan Before Going Gray
- Julia Burke’s Tips for Prolonging Color Between Dye Jobs
- Kelly Roberts’ Transitioning to Natural Gray
- Understanding the Causes of Frizzy Gray Hair
- How to Choose the Right Products for Gray Hair
- Mistakes to Avoid for Frizzy Gray Hair
- The Takeaway
- Gray hair is a natural result of aging and tends to stand out.
- Products on the market address gray hair without resorting to dyes.
- Regular hot oil treatments and masks help maintain the health of gray hair.
- Proper care and product selection are crucial for maintaining healthy and stylish gray hair.
Top 5 Products to Stop Gray Hair From Sticking Out
Looking for the best products to stop gray hair from sticking out? Look no further! We have compiled a list of five top-rated items that will help tame your tresses, including Shea Moisture Blow Out Cream, Garnier Nutrisse R3 Light Intense Auburn, John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength, Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner, and CenYouful Microfiber Hair Towel.
These products are designed to nourish and condition your hair while protecting it against damage caused by heat styling tools.
1. Shea Moisture Blow Out Creme
View On Amazon
Try Shea Moisture Blow Out Creme to tame and soften frizzy gray hair, so you can enjoy a silky finish. This heat protectant is suitable for all hair types, including 4c low-po hair. It only requires a small amount of product for shoulder length hair.
It contains nourishing ingredients like collagen and argan oil to help repair damage while also hydrating your scalp.
Not only does this product work well as a blow out creme, but users have praised its long-lasting color vibrancy when used in conjunction with Garnier Nutrisse R3 Light Intense Auburn dye.
For those looking into managing their grey texture without harsh chemicals or dyes, John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength serum provides weightless moisture along with bamboo extract that helps repair the cuticles on dry damaged locks.
Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner works great in tandem by providing hydration and shine while strengthening strands from root to tip.
And lastly, if you’re trying not just to manage your mane but prevent further breakage, try using the CenYouful Microfiber Hair Towel after showers instead of regular towels, which can be abrasive on wet fragile grey tresses!
- Suitable for all types of textures/hair types (including 4C)
- Nourishes and repairs damage caused by styling tools/products
- Heat protecting against humidity natural oils provide deep conditioning
- Prevents further breakage when paired with a microfiber towel post-shower
- May weigh down curls and cause greasiness if overused
- Reported dulling effect depending on usage and type
- Expensive compared to other alternatives
2. Garnier Nutrisse R3 Light Intense Auburn
View On Amazon
Garnier Nutrisse R3 Light Intense Auburn is like a warm embrace for your gray hair, providing vibrant color and 100% grey coverage with its non-drip creme formula. This salon-grade permanent color contains triple fruit oils (avocado, olive, and shea) to nourish and protect your locks as you boost the shade of your silver strands.
With this complete kit at hand, you can now enjoy beautiful locks without fear of fading or dulling throughout the day.
However, there has been one instance reported where some found disappointment due to leaking during transit – but these cases are rare.
- Provides bold & boosted permanent hair color
- Nourishes & protects while coloring
- Long-lasting results
- Suitable for various shades of natural hair color
- Vibrant red shade
- Leaking issue reported once
- Requires regular use/application
3. John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength
View On Amazon
John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength provides humidity resistance to keep your gray hair looking sleek and smooth. This anti-frizz serum helps nourish, repair, and weightlessly protect damaged strands from heat damage while also repelling moisture for frizz control.
It contains bamboo extract, which is known for its ability to restore dry or brittle hair without weighing it down.
Suitable for natural, color-treated, or highlighted locks of all types – including 4c low porosity – this product offers a pleasant coconut scent with no sulfates, aluminum-free parabens, or alcohols in the formula.
- Heat Protectant & Humidity Repellent
- Contains Bamboo Extract For Repair & Nourishment
- Pleasant Coconut Scent With No Harsh Chemicals
- Non-Drip Creme Formula For Vibrant And Long-Lasting Color
- Suitable For All Hair Types Including Low Porosity Hair
- Limited Frizz Control Depending On Hair Type
- Not As Effective On Fine Or Thin Strands
4. Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner
View On Amazon
For deep conditioning and nourishing treatment, Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner is a salon-grade formula with long-lasting results. Crafted in consultation with hair care experts, this conditioner contains natural ingredients like collagen and argan oil to hydrate from root to tip.
The protective coating of argan oil helps treat dryness, brittle strands, or split ends while providing incredible shine for soft and manageable hair.
It’s gentle enough for all users, including men and women, but can make your hair look oily if used excessively due to the potency of its components.
The sulfate-free formula is preferred by those wanting a more natural approach without harsh chemicals that could be damaging over time. Many reviews applaud the product’s ability to soften their locks as well as add texture back into dull tresses.
There are also mixed feelings on its packaging quality versus price tag, but most agree it has a pleasant scent which makes it enjoyable when applying too!
- Provides incredible shine for soft & manageable hair
- Free of sulfates & parabens
- Salon-grade formulation crafted by experienced hairdressers
- Nourishes from root to tip
- Contains hydrating ingredients like collagen & argan oil
- Can make your hair look oily if used excessively
- Not recommended for daily use with straightened/colored/highlighted locks
- Some allergic reactions reported
- Mixed feedback on effectiveness
5. CenYouful Microfiber Hair Towel
View On Amazon
The CenYouful Microfiber Hair Towel is a lightweight, portable solution to help you manage your gray hair’s texture and keep it from sticking out. It features an absorbent fabric that can hold up to 10 times its weight in water, making it perfect for all hair types.
The durable construction with soft-bound edges helps extend the towel’s lifespan and makes it suitable for various uses like gym, travel, beach trips, or pool parties.
For those looking to tame their wild gray locks without breaking the bank or risking damage due to harsh products or tools – this microfiber towel could be just what they need! Not only does this product work great on long thick hair, but users have reported good results even when used on curly/coarse strands.
It helps reduce frizziness while allowing them to use styling products directly after drying their tresses without any fear of breakage.
However, some customers do note that despite being fluffy as shown in pictures, once washed, the material may not remain as such. Although still providing excellent absorbency, which is key here anyways! Additionally, there are mixed opinions regarding preference over cotton towels.
Some find polyester more comfortable, whereas others would rather prefer natural fibers instead – so take your pick accordingly depending upon individual preferences too.
- Highly Absorbent fabric absorbs 10x weight in water
- Suitable for all Hair Types: Long & Short Curly / Flat / Dyed etc
- Twist & Loop System keeps wrap secure plus added stylish design
- Lightweight & Portable plus Durable Construction with Soft-Edges
- Some reviews mention desire for Cotton Material Option
- After washing material might not remain fluffy as depicted
- Mixed Opinions regarding Preference towards Natural Fibers
Camille Chatterjee’s Experience With Gray Hair
Camille Chatterjee’s journey with gray hair is a true transformation. She has gone from denying the fact that her hair was graying to embracing it and loving her new look. Camille faced many challenges in terms of styling, as she had to learn how to make salt-and-pepper work on brown/black hair.
When transitioning into natural gray color, Kelly Roberts provides helpful tips about using demi-permanent formulas or going straight in with the short chop depending on what you feel comfortable doing.
Managing texture is now more important than ever when it comes to managing grey locks as lack of pigment leads them to be drier, which can result in frizziness sticking out all over your head, making you look older instead of younger like desired.
To counteract this, Shea Moisture Blow Out Creme helps soften and tame dry curls while Garnier Nutrisse light intense Auburn will keep brass tones at bay whilst nourishing each strand, keeping scalp pH balance optimal.
John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength serum then weighs lessening moisture loss further protecting against humidity, whilst Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner keeps individual strands hydrated throughout the day long without having too oily effect.
Vicki Crafton’s Color Plan Before Going Gray
Vicki Crafton’s got you covered with a color plan to navigate the transition before going gray! Before taking the plunge into fully embracing grey hair, it’s important to consider what suits your individual look and lifestyle.
Vicki has all of these steps covered in her color consultation, from understanding how pigment transitions work to pre-gray haircare strategies and styling advice for an even finish or a more youthful appearance.
To help prepare for this journey towards freedom from dyeing and coloring your hair every few weeks, here are some tips:
- Get a professional Color Consultation with Vicki Crafton. She will assess your skin tone and natural base shade while discussing which colors flatter you best. She can also provide techniques on how to make salt & pepper blends look good on brown/black hair textures.
- Start preparing ahead by transitioning out highlights or lowlights used for tonal blending. Use a gentle sulfate-free shampoo that won’t strip away moisture during frequent washes between dyes prior to making the change.
- Utilize Styling Strategies such as layered collarbone chops combined with shine-enhancing tips. These can give off a much more youthful feel than one-length styles can offer when attempting any desired looks after going gray.
Be emotionally prepared too. Talk about feelings of denial over losing pigment production due to genetics or other factors causing early graying, as well as any fear around getting older. These feelings should be discussed openly so they are acknowledged instead of repressed.
Makeup plays an important role here too. Embrace those silver hairs by learning makeup tricks that bring attention back up near the eye area, giving your face definition without having to camouflage greys altogether if not desired at first glance.
Finally, seek temporary solutions like root touch-up kits with DIY application techniques.
Julia Burke’s Tips for Prolonging Color Between Dye Jobs
If you’re looking to maintain your hair color and keep gray hairs at bay, Julia Burke’s tips for prolonging color between dye jobs are the way to go.
- Wear a Silk Cap: Wearing a silk cap while sleeping prevents friction on the scalp that can cause breakage and damage. This helps preserve both natural pigment cells as well as those from chemical dyes.
- Use Satin Pillowcase: Cotton pillowcases absorb moisture, causing dryness which leads to split ends. Satin pillowcases are not only softer, but they also help retain moisture, leaving strands smoother in texture for longer-lasting style results when styling gray hair or preserving dyed hues.
- Frizz Control Tips: Fighting frizz should be part of any successful maintenance strategy since unmanaged frizzy strands will make grays more visible, even if you’ve done an excellent job preserving them through other means such as shampoos or conditioners tailored specifically towards gray tresses! Try using products designed specifically for grey/dyed hair like GRO AGELESS Hair Serum, avoid harsh accessories that aggravate flyaways, and opt for loose buns & soft braids instead of tight styles.
In order to achieve long-lasting vibrant colored locks while managing unruly curls simultaneously, it requires extra effort.
Kelly Roberts’ Transitioning to Natural Gray
Embrace your natural gray with Kelly Roberts’ tips for transitioning gracefully! From finding the right cut to embracing makeup techniques, it can be a daunting journey. But fear not – following these simple steps will help you transition with confidence and ease.
First up is finding the perfect style that works for you. Consider a short chop or demi-permanent formula so it’s easier to manage as your hair grows out naturally.
To make sure that everything looks even, use makeup tricks such as bronzing and contouring around your face frame. This helps create depth and dimension while highlighting features like cheekbones, which add youthfulness.
You’ll need an updated haircare routine too. Comb through wet hair gently instead of tugging on strands. Opt for cold water when rinsing off conditioner since hot showers strip away moisture from aging hair follicles more quickly than normal.
Avoid heat styling tools whenever possible by air drying or using cool blasts after styling if needed.
Finally, apply hydrating masks regularly along with oils suitable for managing grey texture. Shea Moisture Blow Out Creme is great here. Plus, drink plenty of water every day to keep both scalp and tresses hydrated enough so frizzy hairs aren’t sticking out everywhere either.
With just some small adjustments in lifestyle habits and product selection, anyone can rock their silver mane without worry!
Understanding the Causes of Frizzy Gray Hair
If you’re dealing with gray hair, frizz can be an unwelcome addition to your look. Understanding the causes of this type of frizz is key to preventing it from happening and managing it properly.
Gray hair is caused by a decrease in pigment production due to aging, which also disrupts cuticles and reduces sebum production, resulting in dryness. This leads to gray hairs sticking out as they lack moisture balance, causing them to appear wiry and difficult to manage.
To stop gray hair from sticking out, start by maintaining proper cuticle care through gentle shampooing and nourishing conditioning without drying ingredients like sulfates if you have sensitive skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis.
Clarifying shampoos or vinegar rinses are great for dislodging buildup, while purple shampoo helps tone down brassy tones. However, these should only be done weekly to avoid causing further damage or encouraging more frizziness.
Additionally, avoid harsh accessories when styling your locks that could aggravate existing issues. Avoid tight buns or ponytails and opt instead for soft braids or loose curls held together with scrunchies rather than metal clips or elastics.
Finally, having good habits overall, such as drinking lots of water and using hydrating masks and oils regularly, will ensure that both the scalp and follicles remain healthy too!
How to Choose the Right Products for Gray Hair
If you’re looking to manage your gray hair, it’s important to choose hair care products that are suitable for this type of hair. Color options and styling techniques can help enhance the look of your grays, while managing its texture is key when dealing with dryness, frizziness, and other problems associated with aging locks.
Choosing suitable haircare.
Take control of your gray hair and find the perfect haircare routine for you by choosing products designed to nourish, hydrate, and tame frizzy strands. Consider factors like product ingredients, styling techniques, scalp massage technique, and texture management when selecting suitable haircare items.
Hydration is key; use a silk pillowcase or microfiber towel to reduce friction between strands while maintaining moisture levels without weighing down hair. Look for sulfate-free shampoos that won’t strip away natural oils from the scalp, as well as conditioners with hydrating ingredients such as argan oil or avocado butter to keep grey locks looking healthy and shiny.
Finally, choose specialized gray hair care products that will help strengthen weak cuticles, leaving it more manageable than ever before!
Color options for gray hair.
When it comes to gray hair, there are plenty of color options that can help you achieve a look that’s as unique and vibrant as you are. From temporary solutions like highlights or lowlights to permanent dyes and even metallic shampoos, the possibilities are endless.
Gray hair dye trends include everything from classic jet black to silvery grey. If you’re feeling fashion-forward, you can even combine colors in balayage techniques or transition shades through ombré.
For those with coarse strands, investing in professional coloring services ensures an even application without damaging fragile follicles.
Maintaining fashionable gray hair is easy when using nourishing products designed specifically for this type of texture. Microfiber towels can help reduce frizz by gently blotting excess moisture before styling begins.
Regular trims and treatments tailored towards preventing unruly grey locks are also essential.
Regardless of your age, anyone can enjoy trendsetting makeovers with gray hair. So embrace your unique style and experiment with different color options to find the perfect look for you.
Managing gray hair texture
Managing gray hair texture requires using gentle shampoo and nourishing conditioner without drying ingredients. It also involves weekly hot oil treatments, cold rinses to seal cuticles and prevent frizz, and the use of hydrating masks and oils for a healthy look.
When selecting products, consider the scalp pH balance, as those between 4-7 are most effective in controlling gray hairs. It is important to avoid harsh accessories that can aggravate frizz. Investing in suitable styling tools, such as microfiber towels instead of terry cloth or cotton, can help prevent breakage of already fragile strands.
Don’t forget about the night routine: brush your hair before bed and use silk pillowcases to reduce friction while you sleep.
Mistakes to Avoid for Frizzy Gray Hair
To avoid brassy tones and frizz, it’s important to know the mistakes to avoid when managing gray hair. Research shows that over 50% of people aged 50 will have at least half their hair turn gray.
- Avoid harsh brushing and tugging on wet gray hair as this can cause breakage. Use a microfiber towel instead. Gently blot your scalp after washing without rubbing or pulling the strands apart.
- When it comes to using oils for moisture balance in gray hair styling, opt for gentle ones like argan oil or coconut oil. These won’t weigh down your locks but still help nourish them from root to tip without causing buildup or greasiness.
- Silk pillowcases are great for preventing tangles and helping retain moisture overnight.
- Avoid hot showers. Cold water is better at sealing cuticles while minimizing damage caused by heat styling tools such as blow dryers and curling irons.
Lastly, invest in products designed specifically for gray hair. Use hydrating masks and serums regularly along with other maintenance tips mentioned above.
No matter the texture or cause of your gray hair, proper care and maintenance can help you achieve a stylish and healthy look. Preventing frizz starts with understanding genetic factors that affect graying, such as sun damage to hair and age-related changes in follicles during the aging process.
While coloring gray hair may be an option for some people, it’s important to understand how heat damage affects styling options and what products are suitable for different types of gray hair textures.
For those who decide to embrace change by transitioning their natural color into silver locks, there are plenty of styling tips available to try out before taking the plunge. A layered collarbone-length chop with shine-enhancing product can create a youthful look, while regular trims prevent split ends from appearing unruly over time.
Temporary solutions, such as highlights or lowlights, provide an even overall tone until one finds their perfect shade.
Finally, when managing gray strands at home, weekly hot oil treatments using oils like coconut or jojoba work great at replenishing lost moisture.
Be gentle when wetting gray manes, avoiding rubbing and tugging. Instead, use microfiber towels and opt for loose buns, soft braids, and gentle scrunchies.
As the saying goes, ‘prevention is better than cure’, it’s best to take care of your gray hair before it becomes too difficult to manage. With the right products and techniques, you can stop gray hair from sticking out and maintain its silky, healthy appearance.
From Shea Moisture Blow Out Creme to Garnier Nutrisse R3 Light Intense Auburn, John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength, and Moroccan Argan Oil Conditioner to CenYouful Microfiber Hair Towel, there are a variety of products to suit your gray hair needs.
Whether it’s transitioning to natural gray or controlling frizz, these products can help you achieve a healthy, stylish look.
Taking into account the causes of frizzy gray hair, understanding your hair type, and choosing the right products are all key to managing gray hair successfully. With the right products and the right knowledge, you can be sure to keep your gray hair looking fabulous.