This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
The best single blade razors provide a smooth and close shave. At the same time, you protect your skin.
With a suitable shaver, you can navigate nicely through your contours. Not to forget, these items are sturdy, stylish, safe, and cheap when you consider the price.
The best products in the industry should shave your beards without leaving any residue on your face or body. Once we’ve set those criteria, it’s time to find those products. Let me tell you, examining the items is tedious.
In this post, I will go over my recommendations on the best single blade razors and also let you know how to choose one yourself. At the very least, I will give you a brief overview of how to use these tools. So let’s dive in.
Table Of Contents
- Things To Consider For Picking The Best Single Blade Razor
- 10 Best Single Blade Razors Of 2023
- 1. Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor
- 2. Merkur Classic 2 Piece Double Edge Safety Razor
- 3. Feather All Stainless Steel Double Edge Razor
- 4. Vikings Blade The Chieftain
- 5. Parker 96r Long Handle Butterfly Open Safety Razor 5 Parker Premium Platinum Double
- 6. Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
- 7. MHLE R41 Open Tooth Comb Double Edge Safety Razor
- 8. Merkur Razor Adjustable Futur Brushed Chrome Safety Razor
- 9. Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor
- 10. Elkaline Razors Shaving Kit For Men And Women
- Double Edge vs. Single Edge Safety Razors
- How do you use a single blade razor?
Things To Consider For Picking The Best Single Blade Razor
To find the ideal fit and the best razor you are looking for, you need to consider some factors that make a razor great for the money. Curious about what these factors are? Look below.
1. See how the razor is built
It is always important to pay close attention to how these (single) blades are made. These are mainly metal razors with stainless steel, brass, or chrome at the helm. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages. The stainless steel razors are lightweight, easy to maneuver, and inexpensive.
Chrome looks fantastic. Usually, the handle is textured to prevent slipping. Different patterns are engraved on the razor. This can be heavy or lightweight, depending on how you like it.
My personal favorite is Brass. It is heavy. But it offsets its weight by delivering in other sections. For example, the razor is rust-resistant. Thanks to the weight, you need less pressure on your hands to cut through the stubble. Brass handles and shaving heads are also durable and non-slip.
Choose the razor that fits your hands (i.e., length and feel). Make sure to get one that suits your style. I am sure you will find a few on my list.
2. Check the Blade Temper
Whether brass, aluminum for lightness, or heavy stainless steel, check the manufacture of your chosen razor. Your model must be in a good mood. There is actually a way to judge the quality of the blade of your chosen model.
Hold the head of your razor by your thumb. Then try to slide the blade in. The blade should form a clear ring on your thumb during the process. If so, it is in a good mood and should ensure a clean shave. If not, go to the next one.
3. How experienced are you with shaving?
Not many of us talk about this, but when it comes to handling razors with disposable blades, experience counts. Beginners often scratch, scratch, cut, or bruise themselves no matter how well a brand uses them. People should find their comfort zone and shaving style before choosing a tool.
For example, beginners usually have no control over hand movements and pressure while shaving. They should opt for lightweight stainless steel razors. Call them hollow razors if you like. These things are much more forgiving, even with an aggressive blade.
Experts should go with heavy razors. These razors put most of their weight in the head. We usually don’t have to put in a lot of effort when we slip through our faces with these babies. Razor’s weight does it all.
Clearly, there is a small risk of cutting your face (or other body parts) if you are not careful. But experts can deny the said risk.
If you want to get the best of both worlds while playing safely, buy razors that balance their weight and (medium aggressive) blades are far more forgiving than the extreme.
10 Best Single Blade Razors Of 2023
With all the premium brands around, it was hard for me to put together a list of only the top 10best single
1. Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor
View On AmazonShort review. This shaver has a head that fits into any DE blade and gives you a close shave. If you’ve ever used a razor, you’ll feel the same way.
This safety razor can shave perfectly like a (razor). But it gets better. The weight gives the equipment an (aristocrat) feeling. The design is smart. This Edwin Jagger model is durable. If you set your sights on it and want to survive for years, it can survive.
This clever product combines well with DE blades and shaving brush. If you want it to really shine, use it twice a week and clean it regularly. Keep it dry in between. A small piece of advice would be to use it only for (wet) shaving.
The great thing is that you can start using it as soon as it comes to your home. It also comes with five blades that you can use for a month or two, depending on how often you change blades between a shave.
This great product is available in five varieties. Performance increases when you purchase the full set of blades, a brush and a shaving stand along with the razor.
- A stainless steel razor gives a glimpse of the quality and premium design.
- The handle is comfortable, to say the least.
- An affordable shaver if you are looking for a balance between quality and price
- You also get a shaving brush with this package.
- The design represents the Japanese craftsmanship.
- It is not suitable for all skin types.
- The razor has a narrow opening.
2. Merkur Classic 2 Piece Double Edge Safety Razor
View On AmazonThis razor doesn’t have your conventional modern design. It actually looks like your classic razor because it uses a type of blade that men have been using for hundreds of years to invent the more modern blades we see today. That said, the MERKUR Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor looks and feels premium, giving you a shaving experience as close and accurate as possible thanks to its unique design and Germany-designed Solingen steel, which promises and irritation
Other than that, which makes this a great razor to use is mainly two things: the long handle and the heavy head. Because it has a long handle, you hardly suffer from it while shaving. Plus, the heavy head does all the work for you and glides through your skin effortlessly.
Expertly designed and made, the MERKUR Classic 2-Piece Double Edge Safety Razor is a razor that you definitely want practical if you want a product that delivers a classic, clean and effortless shave. We also have a list of the best men’s shavers you may want to check out.
- Has a premium steel design that makes it look stylish
- Heavy head and long handle make shaving feel effortless
- Uses premium razors from the best in the business
- • Maybe too classic for those who want to use razors with modern designs /
- • The stainless steel handle is smooth, especially when wet.
3. Feather All Stainless Steel Double Edge Razor
View On AmazonYou get the better end of the deal with Feather AS-D2 (All Stainless Steel) razor. Why? The product also comes with five stainless steel blades. Knowing the quality of the business, I was sure it would yield a product that satisfies even the most critical criticism of wet shaving. And it did!
This Japanese-made model has several benefits that a professional can expect from Feather’s razors. I loved the packaging and the pillow in it. It does a lot to protect the razor and blades.
Users have a nice length on the handle. At 3.5 inches, the razor handle gives you plenty of grips. Thanks to an improved design of the D1 model, this tool gives you a structured handle. The texture helps you to grip this shaver well. Trust me, and your fingers will rest in a comfortable position.
No, the razor doesn’t slip through my fingers when I shave wet. Multiple blades can be used with this razor. I would recommend using (spring) blades. This gives you superior control over which areas to cut and which to leave. Let me tell you, and these are better than regular razors.
Cartridge razors are expensive. For comparison, the double-sided blades can get closer to the skin without cutting them. One thing I have to tell my readers is that this razor has some weight. And the handle is screwed on the top, so you can not use other handles with this shaving head.
- This is not a traditional Butterfly razor; you have to separate all parts.
- The handle has a nice length At 35 inches, and it’s easier to grip than most of its performance.
- The shaving head is built in such a way that you can clearly see and wash the edge of the blade.
- This product contains five springs. A combination of razor blades and blades works perfectly.
- Feather single blade razor is made in Japan. The craftsmanship and efficiency shine through the design.
- This razor is for the experience. Without stroking at the correct angle, it will not work properly.
4. Vikings Blade The Chieftain
View On AmazonOne thing I like about VIKINGS products is that they follow a strict understanding when it comes to shaving. These guys don’t believe in handing out (cheap) products in both quality and price. That said, you get a (Double-Edge) razor with Swedish stainless steel blades.
I especially liked the Alcantra mirror and the handy cover that came with my product. It makes for a perfect shaving experience. Finally, I also gave one to my neighbor for the coming Christmas. Best of all, Chieftain Single Blade Razor is both functional and stylish.
For example, you have a (heavy) razor in your hands when you order it. The extra weight helps Chieftain cut facial hair better and more effectively than its competitors. I tested this piece, and just a single stroke was enough to get rid of my 3-day old facial furniture.
While looking for the best single blade razors out there, I came across a lot of lookalikes from this (VIKINGS product. Just one shave with the original, and you will notice the difference. Comes with 20% more weight than the counterfeits. It gives you a 150% closer shave than cheap razors.
People can also have an (easy to operate) razor. This is what you get from a classic (3 part)
You can prepare it in 5 minutes Slide the blades on the comb and attach the shaving head by hand Do not forget to turn the handle The shaving head clicks into place
(- That said, don’t turn the handle and head; it will damage the razor.
I have to mention the (Swedish) blades you get now.claim to be mild in nature, meaning people who shave it will not get abrasions, pimples, cuts, and bruises while shaving. Not to mention, users won’t get a rash or itching after every shave. Far, my experience is a little different. I would say these are (moderately aggressive) and not quite mild. Replacing every blade with a new one is delicious. It only takes 5 seconds!
Compared to the Merkur product I talked about earlier, it has bigger handles. Yes, you have your texture pattern, but you can also slightly adjust the handle. If you are a person with big hands, I think this one is more suitable for you compared to the previous product.
- This safety razor is well equipped to handle sensitive skins from different users.
- This three-piece razor is easy to take apart and reattach thanks to the butterfly design.
- You love the blades Medium Aggressive Perfect for beginners or experts.
- VIKINGS Chieftain is a heavy razor Unlike the counterfeits you will notice that it is 20% heavier
- You have a textured handle to prevent slipping and unwanted accidents during the process.
- Yes, this thing has a bigger handle than Merkur. But it is still small compared to the VIKINGS counterparts.
5. Parker 96r Long Handle Butterfly Open Safety Razor 5 Parker Premium Platinum Double
View On AmazonAt this point in our discussion of the best single blade razor, I present you Parker 96R Safety Razor. The product represents and builds on the Parker legacy that spans more than 40 years. The most important part of this Parker model is how easily it moves through your face.
The razor has a solid construction. It is made of original brass, which makes it stiff. It won’t get damaged if people accidentally drop it on the bathroom tiles. The brass construction gives it some weight, and therefore you feel the quality in your hands.
The Parker 96R handle has a textured grip. That will help you get a close shave while holding the product comfortably in your hand. Believe me, and people can hold it well even if they have wet hands. The same goes for people with smooth hands when showering.
It comes with five high-quality blades to take advantage of. These shark blades are chrome plated. So they are stainless. The blades can cut the thickest facial hair. Changing blades is as easy as cake with Parker 96R. You just have to turn the head, and the inner part is open to your eyes. Just take out your old blade and replace it with a new one.
- Changing blades is an easy process to follow.
- A fairly inexpensive razor if you compare the performance and the stylish appearance
- The design makes it insensitive to rust and damage.
- Shave with powerful blades
- You can hold the razor perfectly in all circumstances.
- People reported that they were cut and cut by this razor, but it usually depends on your skill in handling this thing.
6. Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor
View On AmazonThe Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor offers you an incredible shaving experience where the blade does the work for you. It’s an effortless type of razor that glides through your skin without much effort, as long as you hold it tight and use the correct angle.
In addition, this razor has a butterfly design that makes it easy to change blades. And thanks to the long handle, it’s very easy and effortless to achieve that smooth and sleek look you’ve always wanted.
The Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle Butterfly Open Double Edge Safety Razor is a razor that makes everything on your part seem so effortless.
- Glides through your skin effortlessly
- Blades are easy to replace
- • You have to follow a certain angle because the blade does not bend very well to follow the contours of your face.
- • Expect to cut if you do not follow the instructions correctly.
7. MHLE R41 Open Tooth Comb Double Edge Safety Razor
View On AmazonWhen we talk about single blade razors, the way they open up to people to load blades becomes a big factor. In my case, I prefer simple options. The simpler, the better. That’s why MÜHLE R41 is on my list of the best single-blade razors. R41 comes with a blade and simple instructions.
This is a German product like Merkur but does not have as much heritage or legacy. But that doesn’t stop MÜHLE from giving users a simple razor with a compact design. The finish you see on the handle is fine and engraved. This keeps our moist hands from slipping when tackling contours.
This thing is made for direct shaving experience for people. As I said, the shaving head follows an (Open Comb) style. As such, the blade is clamped to the curvature of the edge. This provides enough exposure to stay sharp and prevents debris from entering the blade.
The same design is also easy to clean. It opens easily for washing. Even before someone washes the razors, the stubble passes through the gap between the edge of the blade holder and the foam. You can use both aggressive blades (Feather) and normal blades, such as Derby for shaving.
I must say I didn’t have to go to my face a second time to get the shave I wanted. Just one attempt with the grain of my facial hair was enough. I can vouch for the same result even if your beards are thicker than mine. It’s all in the position of the blade and the angle of the razor on your faces.
It was great to see how the razor worked well even when my stubble was three days old. The sharpness of the blade and the effectiveness of the blows remained the same.
- This blade has a simplistic but practical style and design with an Open Comb plan.
- One can clean and sustain the razor very effortlessly thanks to the Open Comb technique and blade Curvature.
- The control is textured, generating it impervious to slipping and accidents that could happen.
- I can deem this item as Novice Friendly thanks to the straightforward How to guide it has
- As usually people get a sample blade and can use any blade with this answer as they like
- I do not have concerns with the performance. But the razor needs to be dealt with caution. It is aggressive in your experience.
8. Merkur Razor Adjustable Futur Brushed Chrome Safety Razor
View On AmazonAs for adjustable razors, Merkur’s Futur hits the mark with the design, overall feel, and customization it offers users. Yes, the price is a concern if you walk with tight ropes. But when it comes to functionality, Merkur never shies of handing out a good shaving product.
Futur comes with a matte body with a chrome polish to enhance the look. And it works! People get an (Aesthetically Pleasing) razor that works well and do it without straining their skin.
This razor shines best with shaving cream or a gel. Wet your beard, lather up and get to work.
(Why is it so simple,) Do you ask? Well, that’s because Futur has a unique (Snap-on Cap) design that allows people to use the razor right after the blade is applied. The secret is a magnet that brings the top and bottom pieces together without breaking people’s sweat.
Just put the blade in place and place the top half of the razor-like cover. You are all set for your shaving adventures. Then there’s the extra weight these razors put on their heads. As a result, people can cut fairly mature beards in one stroke. No, I’m not kidding with this one.
Be careful not to apply unnecessary pressure. Run the razor over your face. (Why do you ask? Well, these blades can be aggressive, unlike other contenders on my list.
But when Futur is in (experienced) hands, the sharpness of the blade takes a backseat in favor of finesse and quality.
In addition, you can twist the cap and blade with it. There is a dial-in area that can control the gap between the blade and the bottom half of the razor. It works wonders when you need the perfect shave without notches and cuts These guys focused on comfort and alignment while designing Futur., if the adjustable blade opening turns out to be a boon if you hold the product at a 30-degree angle, you won’t feel any pulling or pulling power if you Shaves against the grain Your hands stay aligned correctly.
Speaking of the hands, Futur has a textured engraving on the part to help users with wet and damp hands better grip the razor to grab. Therefore, such a heavy razor would accidentally cause cuts to your face and be damaged by falling from a significant height.
To put the icing on an already tasty cake, Merkur Futur has a (Closed comb) design. As a result, the blades are better guided during shaving. Nor does it allow beards if people use it for a long time. It is perfectly suited for hairdressers who usually do 50:60 shaves per day.
For me, cleaning only took ten minutes or so because I had to rinse the razor and blade under running water. It is not a big fuss.
I liked that the makers made it optional to buy a full-fledged set that comes with a razor stand and all the extra shebang for your comfort.
- This is perhaps the greatest adjustable razor. You get to modify the height and Sharpness of blades.
- I like the bodyweight stability this factor offers All I needed have been a handful of gentle glides, although shaving.
- Merkur Futur is an outstanding razor for newbies and knowledgeable customers alike.
- Engraving on the handle of Merkur Futur permits customers to grip it completely without having slipping at all.
- The Closed Comb design and style prevents hair strands from getting into the razor.
- Personally, I select the knurled design and design when functioning with Merkur products.
- The head snaps into location nicely, but it is not the very best design and style and style function from Merkur.
9. Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Razor
Merkur, the German brand, invented another shaving jewel. This particular product is also known to many as Merkur HD. This is one of Merkur’s most popular models and rightly so.
First of all, you get a sense of quality when you have this razor in your hands. The thick and textured handle gives you a firm grip no matter how slippery or wets your hand is due to showering or water flow. The equipment is supplied with a fixed head. Some may find it strange, but a sturdy head will keep it from falling out while you do business. In addition, it works well with the design.
Take advantage of the package and grab Merkur’s Super Platinum Razor Blade. With the blade, you will find your way with tough facial hair and hard-to-reach corners. It features a protector that allows you to keep your facial curves safe while shaving. If you need replacement blades, they are sold separately.
- The model is handcrafted; you can be assured of the greatest notch of large quality.
- Merkur is a brand that assures the best efficiency when it comes to blades.
- It contours to your facial curves
- It has a fixed hand that lessens cuts and nicks.
- It has a blade guard.
- Spare blades require to be bought separately.
10. Elkaline Razors Shaving Kit For Men And Women
View On AmazonIndeed, the Elkaline Razors shaving set for men and women is indeed a product for men and women as it glides through every skin type precisely as the hair is cut, whether used on the face, legs, or underarms. And the best part about the shaving experience is that it cuts as little as possible.
With its innovative design, the Elkaline Razors shaving kit for men and women makes it easy for you to remove and replace the blades by simply turning a knob. The blades aren’t even very expensive and will help you save more money in the long run.
The Elkaline Razors shaving kit for men and women may not have the same kind of premium feel compared to other razors, but it gets the job done, and it’s great at precise shaving without the cuts.
- Good for every guys and girl
- Extremely easy to eliminate and substitute blades
- • Not superb for sensitive skin.
- • Feels a bit cheap in contrast to other single blade razors.
Double Edge vs. Single Edge Safety Razors
Virtually all single-blade safety razors currently on the market are double-edge razors, meaning both sides of the razor are visible.
Manufactured in the past, however, many companies also include one-sided safety razors.
As far as we know, there is really only one company that currently produces single edge razors, a company called Beluga, which has successfully used a Kickstarter campaign to
Still, we cannot comment really on these razors because we haven’t had a chance to try them out yet.
If you’re interested in trying out a single blade razor, you can easily pick up vintage models online or possibly from pawnshops, garage sales, ads, etc.
Although the razors are no longer produced, there are still many companies that produce blades that will fit almost any vintage model.
Some good vintage options are the GEM Bullet Tip Micromatic, Ever Ready 1912, GEM 1912, GEM G-Bar, and GEM Feather Weight. Of these, the featherweight is probably best for beginners.
GEM also produced an open comb version of the Micromatic, which is known as one of the most aggressive safety razors out there.
No kidding, this thing can give one of the absolute best shaves, but it usually comes at the cost of a few layers of skin.
For those who have never tried a one-sided razor before, we can highly recommend it if you are looking for an extremely close shave, and we mean extreme.
The blade in this type of razor has a slightly different angle and requires a special technique, but most single edge razors will be about the most aggressive shave you’ve ever had – so be warned and give us not the fault if you bleed like a tap!
How do you use a single blade razor?
Now there are the right steps to follow if we are to do this properly. Let’s assume you have a thick beard and want to shave it. The first thing I would do is apply Pre-shave oil. It softens the beard. Then you can apply shaving gel or cream. Rinse it all over your beard to distribute it evenly.
Now place the double-edged shaver (AKA Single Blade Razor) at an angle of 30 degrees. Gently slide over your face and never push it too hard. You do well to shave in the direction of the growth of your beard. At the end of the first round, I tend to go over my face again with the gel or shaving cream on top. But it all depends on your preference.
At the very end, it is enough to apply an (After Shave) lotion. Aftershave lotion reduces lumps on your face. It reduces irritation, prevents cuts in the blood, and prevents cuts from fatalities.
If you’re still between a cartridge razor and a single blade razor, go for the latter. Shave closer with the best single blade razors. Sometimes the construction and blade quality make the difference when you compare different brands.
Eventually, you will get to the point where you have enough experience to know how to use a single blade razor without using yourself. Cut or feel discomfort. But from now on, feel free to choose one of our top picks as we assure you they will perform in terms of overall quality and experience.