This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Pre-shave oil is an excellent lubricant that provides an extra protective layer against common irritants caused by shaving, such as razor burn/razor bumps.
I start the process by applying pre-shave oil. Yes, some oils help you shave.
I have no quirks with people who start things with soap. But wet shaving has subtle nuances. If you want to enjoy close shave the results of a high-quality shave, you must prepare well for work.
- Pre-shave oils serve as a natural lubricant and are generally safe for the skin.
- They are made from just two or three natural ingredients: carrier oils, essential oils, and vitamin A or E oil.
- Help razor blades to glide smoothly, ensure smooth and comfortable shaving.
- Serves as an excellent moisturizer
- That can prevent razor burn
- Ensures better shaving results than can shaving cream
- Adds an extra protective layer to the skin when used with a double-sided safety razor
If you find this idea of pre-shave oil strange, this is the only guide you will ever need to understand what it is, what products dominate the market, and how to deal with it.
Determining the best pre-shave oil for your face, head or body can be a difficult challenge, and no doubt, a good quality pre-shave oil can make a massive difference in terms of comfort for some men.
After reading the feedback from many men and doing some of our field tests, we are convinced that we have selected the best pre-shave oils that will make your morning routine something you look forward to.
Table Of Contents
- Things To considering For Buy Best Pre Shave Oil
- 10 Best Pre-Shave Oils of 2023
- 1. The Art Of Shaving Pre-shave Oil Sandalwood
- 2. Thrive Natural Shaving Pre-shave Oil
- 3. American Crew Ultra Gliding Shave Oil
- 4. Lather Wood Pre Shave Oil
- 5. Taconic Shave Premium All Natural Pre-shave Oil
- 6. Anthony Pre-Shave Oil
- 7. Shaveology Pre Shave Oil for Men
- 8. Seven Potions Pre Shave Oil For Men
- 9. American Shaving Pre Shave Oil For Men
- 10. Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shave Oil
- Tips When Use Pre-Shave Oils
- FAQs About Pre-Shave Oils
Things To considering For Buy Best Pre Shave Oil
Pre-Shave oil enhances your wet shaving experience. It helps you shave smoothly without skin irritation.
We think the following suggestions will help you decide which best pre shave oil is right for you.
Pre-shave oils usually consist of different oils (OK, seems obvious), including olive oil, grape seed oil, castor oil, and many others. You can also find vitamin E in most pre-shave oils; it has many benefits for the skin, including helping to relieve inflammation.
Look for ingredients that moisturize the skin, give your face the right amount of smoothness, and make your beard as soft as possible before applying your favorite shaving cream. We also advise you to choose the best pre-shaving oil made from natural ingredients that do not damage or irritate the skin.
2. Skin Type
Take into account your skin and facial hair type when deciding which best pre-shave oil you choose. If your skin is rougher and your beard coarse, you should look for a thicker oil that penetrates the skin cells and hair follicles to soften them before shaving.
Pre-shave oils are ideal for men with sensitive skin, and most should work if you are the sensitive (skin) type, but it doesn’t hurt to read the label carefully. If your skin is prone to pimples, look for lighter pre-shave oils that won’t clog your skin’s pores.
The smell of a product is never at the top of the list for choosing a care product, at least not for us. On the other hand, make sure that you do not find the odor offensive because it can stay with you for a while. Also, pay attention to ingredients that help create a scent but may be allergic.
The good news is that there are enough odor-free pre-shave oils if the smell is not your thing.
10 Best Pre-Shave Oils of 2023
shave comfortably is not as easy as hitting some foam on your face and dragging a razor over your face. You must prepare your skin. Only a few drops of one of these best pre shave oils and a new razor blade can transform your experience and smooth your handsome face.
1. The Art Of Shaving Pre-shave Oil Sandalwood
The good people of the art of shaving indicate that the average man shaves more than 20,000 times during his life. Although that spends a lot of time on the bathroom mirror, AoS wants nobody to take it for granted.
With that in mind, they make quality products such as their Pre-Shave Oil, which we think is one of the best pre-shave oils for men. It prepares the skin for a comfortable shave without feeling greasy.
- It is thick and offers an excellent protective layer for when you razor glide.
- It contains many natural ingredients, including castor oil, olive oil, and Hexyl Cinnamal – that sounds chemical but is an extract of chamomile.
- You will enjoy the lubrication that this oil provides, whether you shave your face or head. It ensures a smooth shave.
- Because it is thicker than many oils, you do not need to use it when you apply it to your face. A 2-ounce container must last a long time.
- The Art of Shaving’s Pre-Shave Oil has a pleasant sandalwood scent that is subtle and not overwhelming.
Pre-Shave Oil from Art of Shaving is more expensive than some other brands, but you get a quality product worth the price.
- Nice blend of essential oils
- Offers excellent lubrication
- The thickness provides protection.
- Some users do not like dispensers.
2. Thrive Natural Shaving Pre-shave Oil
Thrive Natural pre shave oil is an oil that blooms with many great properties that make it one of the best pre shave oils.
Let’s not hurry. I will start from the outside and give my readers an idea of what this thing looks like. This shaving oil bottle is supplied with a pump nozzle that can be locked in a fixed position.
The locking mechanism prevents oil leakage or spillage. The oil is absolutely amazing for your skin (I’m going soon); it’s just as great for your razor. This small product provides lubrication and reduces friction during shaving.
Of course, you can enjoy a very smooth shave. Moreover, it extends the life of your razor blades by protecting them against oxidation and microscopic rust.
This is where Thrive Natural Shave Oil is the best pre-shave oil you have ever used. This is because it replaces shaving oil, making pre-shaving oil, creams, foams, and gels unnecessary.
This shaving oil is a lifesaver for people with sensitive and dry skin.
This oil helps hydrate and hydrate your skin, keeping it nourished and irritation-free. Top-quality essential oils are infused with this oil to create a refined yet natural scent.
Thrive Natural has brought together two Costa Rican elements in this product to achieve the best results. These are Juanilama herb and Fiorillo vine. This helps reduces razor burns, ingrown hairs, spots, and acne.
They help heal your skin and also keep it nourished.
Moreover, these ingredients are rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. They also help to protect your skin against damage caused by pollution.
- The face of the users adapts very nicely to the use of flowering pre-shave oil.
- This thing does not cause annoying irritations and removes the existing irritation on your face.
- The protective layer between your beards and the razor blades works! The razors now last longer.
- Antioxidants in the oil help users maintain their younger-looking skin.
- Natural ingredients are also completely safe and hypoallergenic for your skin.
- It has a thin consistency than your average shaving oil, cream, and soap.
- The price will be a daunting factor that will influence the purchasing decision for some.
3. American Crew Ultra Gliding Shave Oil
American Crew Pre Shave Oil has a deep product line that costs more for the average buyer. Part of its allure is the fact that it can be found almost everywhere. This pre-shave oil is good for reducing bumps and notches for a cleaner, smoother shave. The primary ingredients are a blend of natural oils, including peppermint, cloves, and eucalyptus.
- Meadowfoam seed oil
- Rice bran oil
- Avocado oil
- Babassu oil
- Balsam Copaiba
- Clove oil
- Sandalwood oil
- Rosemary oil
What you will see is that this is a fun way to push your hair up and protect you while shaving while at the same time adding a refreshing scent.
With such a complex blend of oils in this shaving oil, the general scent becomes heavier on the clove side (although the scent is not overwhelming), with a subtle hint of rosemary.
- Works for sensitive skin
- Small bottle for the price
4. Lather Wood Pre Shave Oil
Lather and Wood Shaving Co. has worked to offer you a vintage and satisfying shaving experience. This small product is no different here. This oil that I am talking about is infused with sandalwood oil and some more natural oils.
Thanks to the sandalwood oil, this pre-shave oil has a calming scent. This relaxes your daily shave. In fact, for those who are fans of the old school, this sand-soaked pre-shave oil will prove to be the best.
Together with sandalwood oil, this product contains grape seed oil, organic olive oil, meadowfoam oil, wheat germ oil, cranberry oil, red raspberry oil, neem oil, and rosemary extract. These ingredients help to soften even the most difficult beards.
It allows you to enjoy friction-free and seamless shaving every day. Moreover, this oil helps to remove ingrown hairs and is very useful for sensitive skin. People with sensitive skin are sensitive to shaving burns, redness, and skin irritation after shaving with the best razor blades.
I often thoroughly massage my beard with this pre-shave oil to coat it and my skin. Believe me, you only need a few drops, and you have to wait about 30 seconds to get the best possible result.
How many days the oil lasts is entirely up to you. Each package works for a minimum of 60 shaves.
This pre-shave oil is good at lubricating your beard and protecting your skin that you can shave by just applying the oil. Lather Wood Shaving Co. has never disappointed its customers. This is suitable for you if you are only going to use pre-shave oils.
- I like the relaxing and subtle “Sandalwood” scent this product carries with it. It lingers on for hours.
- Meadowfoam, Wheatgerm, and Cranberry oils help users to enjoy friction-free shaving.
- Each pack of this shaving oil lasts for 60 shaves (give or take). How soon it runs out is entirely up to you.
- Some people think that this one is a bit pricier than it should be.
5. Taconic Shave Premium All Natural Pre-shave Oil
Taconic Shave is an American company that specializes in artisanal, completely natural men’s products, including the Premium All Natural Pre Shave Oil. The latter is a great product for a great price and one that will definitely improve your shaving experience.
Made with a nice list of skin-healthy oils – including safflower oil, grape seed oil, and castor oil – the Taconic shaving oil contains no artificial ingredients that can irritate your skin. Safflower oil provides the necessary moisture for the skin, while castor oil has antibacterial properties and helps to soften your skin and facial hair.
We also love Taconic’s All Natural Pre-Shave Oil because it works great to protect the skin. Lubricate and soften stubborn facial hair to make it easier to get a smooth, close shave every time. It also has the right amount of smoothness to make your knife glide more smoothly.
This oil is not as thick as some of the other oils we’ve mentioned here, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work in a way that helps improve your shave. In addition, some users appreciate that they do not need to remove excess oil and cream from their knives after every wipe.
It’s also great for use on your head when you move the bald appearance up and down; we even think this is the best pre-shave oil for your head.
Another thing that this oil likes is that it comes in an easy-to-use, non-messy dispenser that gives you the right amount every time. Get the best pre shave oil. Meanwhile, it has a subtle scent that other scents, such as the scent of your soap, shaving cream, or favorite perfume, will not dominate.
- Natural ingredients
- Not irritating
- Subtle, not overwhelming odor
- Some users prefer a thicker pre-shave oil.
6. Anthony Pre-Shave Oil
Although Anthony is usually a reputable skincare company, you might consider purchasing this product. When this article is being written, you can purchase this oil for around $ 32 per 2 oz. Bottle.
Now, for a pre-shaving oil with quality ingredients and a simple shaving process, that amount of money would be worth it. However, when it comes to this oil, a few things would put it back on the shelf.
The first of these is that two of the main ingredients are olive oil and castor oil—other than that, the typical essential oils are mentioned, such as peppermint, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
Regardless of the benefits that essential oils have, there is a serious problem with the oils used.
Both ingredients make it extremely difficult to remove the oil from your skin completely.
If you are the type of person who finds oil on your skin refreshed, you will have no problems with this product.
However, for the price of this oil, there should be no trace of it. Oil and your skin must feel completely fresh and clean. Despite this tendency to leave oil behind, Anthony has made this pre-shave product very light in weight.
With the wonderful scent of eucalyptus and peppermint, you will feel wide awake and refreshed after a morning shave. The oil will still do its job to lift and soften facial hair to be properly shaved.
- Soothing, aftershave effect
- Problems with penetrating thick beards
7. Shaveology Pre Shave Oil for Men
If you’ve just started shaving and want to try one, I have something for you. The Shaveology Pre Shave Oil is All Natural, the best, and the next product on my list.
This is considered to be one of the best pre-shave oils of today. It helps prepare your skin and beard before shaving. Please take a few drops on your palm, rub it in with both hands, and then massage it thoroughly on your beard and skin. Don’t forget to rub the palms of your stubble while massaging with your palms.
This helps to lift the hair follicles so that you do not miss any flat hair while shaving.
Most of this Shaveology Pre Shave Oil mainly contains a blend of natural oils, as I said in my pitch for this short review. They are – Safflower oil, Avocado oil, Walnut oil, and Jojoba oil. These natural oils help soothe, nourish, and hydrate your skin.
Vitamin E is also there. It helps keep our face rejuvenated during and after the shaving routine.
This ultimately contributes to effortless shaving. These oils take care of your skin without leaving oil behind. They help protect your skin against burns, redness, and skin irritation. And so it is also suitable for people with sensitive skin.
I must tell you that most pre-shave oils are intended for safety shavers. This also applies to the Shaveology Pre Shave Oil. Do not use this oil or other pre-shaving oil before shaving with an electric shaver.
This 2 oz bottle of pre-shave oil can be used for almost half a year, depending on how often you want. Shave. This has a subtle scent that is just as pleasant and refreshing as the pre-shave oil.
- Natural ingredients give it the hypoallergenic nature of this shaving oil. It is safe for allergic people.
- I don’t have to mention that natural ingredients don’t cause skin sensitivities, right?
- Vitamin E gives your skin the youthful appearance that people want so badly.
- Depending on how often you shave, a 2 oz. The bottle will last almost half a year (6 months).
- The formula contains no fillers. People will not find any chemicals there.
- The consistency may tick off depending on the brands of shaving oils that you used before.
- The lemon scent may not be lucrative for some users.
8. Seven Potions Pre Shave Oil For Men
Much defines a good shave, whether smoothness, closeness, or a lack of skin irritations such as notches and cuts.
All pre-shave oils on our list answer the bell in all those categories, including the Pre Shave Oil For Men from Seven Potions. The latter lubricates and protects your face and has been developed for quality and performance.
It is also ideal for men with sensitive skin because of how it protects the face and, at the same time, reduces the risk of wounds and cuts. But it also provides excellent lubrication and hydration for a smooth shave and even removes ingrown hairs after shaving.
You can use the Seven Potions Pre Shave Oil alone or in combination with your favorite shaving cream or soap. It is odor-free so that it does not disturb the smell of your shaving cream. Either way, you can expect an irritation-free shave, even if your facial skin is more sensitive than most. It softens facial hair to lay the foundation for a smooth shave every time you use it.
We also like the texture of the oil from the seven drinks – it’s not so thick that it hides your razor, but it’s not too thin either.
Like all care products for many men of Seven Potions, their Pre Shave Oil For Men consists of completely natural, organic, vegan, and cruelty-free ingredients. You do not have to worry about artificial chemicals, parabens, preservatives, artificial fragrances, or colorants. Instead, you will find natural ingredients such as olive oil, sweet almond oil, tea tree essential oil, and lavender essential oil, to name just a few.
- Lubricates and moisturizes the skin
- Beautiful, even texture
- All-natural ingredients
- Little or none, but may not protect against shaving fire and other oils.
9. American Shaving Pre Shave Oil For Men
Research into the best pre-shave oil brought me face to face with some products. Each claims to be the best in itself. All seven on my list somehow took the cake. American Shaving Pre Shave Oil is a special bottle, even within these top choices.
This pre-shave oil is intended for men of all ages, experience levels, and every skin type and beard type. That is, it is perfectly suitable for men with sensitive skin.
This oil helps hydrate, nourish, and protect your skin. It contains a mixture of grapeseed oil, argan oil, hemp seed oil, and jojoba oil. These oils absorb quickly and help prepare our skin by hydrating and conditioning them.
This is in no way the end of the ingredients. It also contains a mix of slow-absorbing oils such as sweet almond oil, olive oil, and avocado oil. This second group of oils creates a layer of lubrication by simply sitting over our skin.
This allows the razor blades to glide smoothly over our skin and through the beard without causing us inconvenience. This means no itching, red spots, and irritations. Don’t worry if you leave oily skin after you have finished shaving. The only thing left is healthier and softer facial tissue.
The composition of oils adds a different quality to your shave. It gives you a persistent scent that is masculine and refreshing. The scent is not overwhelming and does not contain the scent of your perfume. It doesn’t take that long, but it takes a long time to give you an exciting feeling to start your day.
- The natural oils in this mix get absorbed by the skin and provide nourishment from within.
- You get to enjoy a pleasant soothing scent while you shave, and it stays on for some time after.
- The natural oils reduce razor frictions and bring down nicks and cuts in the process.
- Grapeseed Oil, Argan Oil, Hempseed Oil, and Jojoba Oil condition the users’ skins.
- One pack of American Crew Shaving Oil satisfies our shaving urges for as many as four months.
- This product contains Isopropyl Myristate, which is a thickening agent, and synthetic oil.
10. Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shave Oil
Whether you like shaving or consider it a daily dose effortlessly – and we hope not – you’ll agree with fellow shavers that the process can sometimes be a little painful if you’re not careful. Painful, that is, it can cause burns, nicks, and cuts.
This is especially the case if you have sensitive skin, which makes shaving not pleasant at all. Fortunately, shaving products such as Natural Shave Oil from Pacific Shaving Company have men with sensitive skin in mind. Marketed as ‘the best friend of your skin,’ natural shaving oil is the best pre-shaving oil for sensitive skin.
The formula of the Pacific Shaving Company helps calm the skin, irritates and reduces bumps, and has a variety of safe natural and organic ingredients. It makes your skin hydrated and healthy.
The Natural Shave oil has a nice, thick consistency, ensuring a good layer of protection and lubrication, but it is not so thick that you feel that you have to scrub it after every shave. It also has a non-sticky texture, unlike many other pre-shave oils available today.
The natural list of ingredients of the Natural Shave Oil contains sunflower oil, avocado oil, cucumber fruit extract, aloe vera leaf juice, mandarin peel oil, vitamin E, grapefruit peel oil, and many others. It is an environmentally friendly and animal-friendly mix that is safe for your skin and offers excellent lubrication.
The Pacific Company Natural Shave Oil is supplied in a travel-friendly container that complies with TSA approval. That said, it’s not a big bottle, but the good news is that you don’t have to use much of it to reap the benefits before you shave. You can only use it, but it is most effective in combination with shaving cream or gel.
- Great for sensitive skin
- Thick consistency but not too thick
- Made from natural ingredients
- Maybe a bit expensive for its size
Tips When Use Pre-Shave Oils
So if pre-shave oils have several benefits, why don’t more men use them, or do they know what it is? Perhaps one of the main reasons why pre-shave oil is often overlooked is because there is some confusion about how it should be used during a shaving routine.
Shower first: some men think they can use pre-shave oil instead of showering. This is always a mistake. It is still important to thoroughly wet your face with warm water before shaving. This ensures a smooth, comfortable, and smooth shave and can also help prevent a razor burn.
If you constantly suffer from a shaving burn, know that pre-shave oil does not appear as an isolated product, but it can help. Taking a shower or using warm water before shaving helps open the pores and stimulates and enlarges the hair follicles on your face.
Your face is now the perfect environment for shaving. Your razor can easily slide over your skin, reducing friction and, yes, shaving.
Previously, not after: In addition, shaving oil must be applied before using another product such as shaving cream or shaving soap.
Razor points: if you are looking for a good quality razor that doesn’t cost a fortune, try a safety razor. A safety razor delivers a much better shave than those cheap cartridge shavers. It also prevents nicks, cuts, pimples, acne, and a shaving burn.
Although a safety razor can shave you much better, some maintenance and maintenance are needed to guarantee your shave’s life and quality.
Make it a habit to rinse and clean the razor before and after each use thoroughly. Don’t forget to change the blade often.
This is the easiest way to spread bacteria on your face, which inevitably clogs pores and causes acne.
After Shave: When you have finished shaving, consider re-using pre-shave oil. This keeps your skin well hydrated all day.
FAQs About Pre-Shave Oils
Is Pre Shave Oil worth it?
Have you ever, after shaved feel the familiar sting of shaving irritation or waited eight hours to see ingrown hairs develop? Yes, we thought. Here’s why pre-shave oil is so great:
- Reduces irritation: for those of you with eczema or another skin condition that makes your skin really sensitive to just about everything under the sun, pre-shave oil can offer exceptional comfort while the precision of your shave has been improved.
- Precision: many other shaving products help with this, and although this is not the primary function behind pre-shave oil, it does increase the precision of your shave
- Softer hair: even if you opt for the beard trimmer but still majestic mountain beard, you need some pre-shave oil to keep the hair soft, not coarse. Apart from that, you also see fewer frayed, split ends when you trim specific patches.
What does pre shave oil do?
The best pre-shave oil moisturizes, protects the skin, and softens the beard, while the blade glides smoothly over the skin and through the hair, reducing ‘pulling and pulling,’ resulting in much less irritation. The pre-shave oil forms a film over the skin to protect it directly from the blade.
Can I use Beard Oil as Pre Shave Oil?
Any oil can really serve as a pre-shave oil. The purpose of pre-shave oil is not to smooth your skin before shaving. It is to moisturize the skin well to provide enough elasticity. Any oil can that, and beard oils are actually very good at it.
While soaps and creams help evoke good foam, these best pre-shave oils work differently. They help soften the beard and reduce inflammation. Safety razors can, therefore, slide through people’s faces without suddenly stopping.
All in all, there are several advantages to using pre-shave oil. Not only does it hydrate the skin thoroughly, but a quality product is also made with natural ingredients that nourish the skin and make it look smooth and healthy.
As always, we would love to hear from you. Do you use pre-shave oils, and if so, which product do you prefer? Have you tried something on our list? We welcome your feedback and suggestions.