This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
If you’re wondering how to straighten your beard, you’re not alone.
For some men, a long curly beard is something to be proud of; for others, straightening their beard hair is necessary.
There are many different types of beard hair, and some hair textures are naturally difficult to handle.
From simply asking ‘ how to straighten beard hair ‘ until you wonder if there are products to straighten beard hair, we will tackle this problem that so many beard men face.
Don’t worry, and we have some surefire tips to help you get your mane into a gloriously straight beard.
Table Of Contents
- Why Are Some Beards Straight and Some Curly?
- What You’ll Need to Straighter Looking Beard
- How to Straighten Your Beard With a Beard Hair Straightener
- How to Straighten Curly Beard Naturally
- How to Soften Your Beard Using Beard Relaxer
- FAQs About Straightened Beard
- Final Thoughts
Why Are Some Beards Straight and Some Curly?
Whether your beard gets straight or curly depends on the shape of your beard follicles.
Symmetrical hair follicles allow straight hair that lies flat. If the hair follicle is asymmetrical, it will develop an oval hair shaft that will curl more and more as it gets longer.
Even symmetrical hair follicles can develop curly hair if the hair shaft has an uneven distribution of some keratin.
Another common reason for a curly, unruly beard is dryness. If your beard is dry and damaged, it will stiffen and curl quickly.
Dryness is mainly caused when you wash your beard regularly, as too harsh shampoos strip your facial hair of its natural oils and dry your beard completely.
Unless necessary, the beard should not be washed more than three times a week with a specialist beard shampoo.
What You’ll Need to Straighter Looking Beard
Now we know that beard products have many benefits for beard growth and health, but they also have a huge impact on the way your beard hairs lie. So my first and easiest recommendation for straightening a curly beard is to use some key beard products.
While you may not need all of them, you do have some of these tools /beard care products needed:
How to Straighten Your Beard With a Beard Hair Straightener
The popular method to straight beard hair uses a beard straightener or a small flat iron, in the same way as the hair on their head, this tool will ultimately give better results and straighter looking beard hair and is intended for the most unruly, hard to tame beards.
However, refuse to use it often as high temperatures can damage a damaged, dry, brittle beard.
Remember that your beard must be long and thick for this to work: if you apply this kind of heat on applying short amounts of facial hair, it will definitely result in a serious burn.
Follow these simple steps to use a flat iron/beard hair straightener:
- Wash your beard with a conditioner to moisturize it and
pat your beard and leave it partially damp.
- Blow-dry and comb your hair straight until completely dry.
- Set your beard or small hair straightener on the lowest heat setting.
- Open the clamp and bring it so close to your chin and skin as possible before using the clips near you.
- Connect the straightener to your beard hair. With the closed tongs, go from your hair’s roots to the ends (away from you). It never stops and keeps the heat on a particular area for too long because you run the risk of damaging or killing the hair.
- Then apply beard balm or wax to rejuvenate your facial hair.
The key with this method is not to spend too long on any one area of your beard.
This is exactly why many experienced beard experts use the natural method to avoid the long-lasting damage that comes with burning your facial hair.
How to Straighten Curly Beard Naturally
Straightening your beard naturally is a daily process. You must establish and adhere to a routine of beard maintenance.
With diligence and care, your beard will stay straight all day.
Facial hair needs gentle care to look its best, so say no to harsh soaps and shampoos.
While time-consuming, the natural method of straightening your beard is straightforward:
- Wash your beard with premium shampoo and conditioner to soften any coarse strands of facial hair.
- Use a specially formulated beard soap that is free of harsh chemicals.
- Partially dry your beard with a towel, but do not rub it vigorously or pull on the hair. Pat dry to avoid tangles, especially with long beards.
- Brush or comb your hair, slide the hair straight down and at the ends to mimic the curve of your face. This is where your favorite beard comb can come in handy.
- Start slow in some beard oil to work for moisture and control.
- Now blow dry your hair on a low heat while you comb.
- Finally, apply some beard wax or balm to keep your hair soft and conditioned throughout the day.
If you use beard balm or wax on end, you can really prevent your hair from curling up while drying.
How to Soften Your Beard Using Beard Relaxer
There is another permanent solution to smooth your curly beard: Beard Relaxing Cream.
Beard relaxant will not damage your beard as it is designed to strengthen the beard while growing healthier.
This product will only affect the old hair of your beard. Having said this, your beard will continue to grow curly. So do not reapply to old hair growth as it will stay straight.
The only downside to beard relaxing cream is that you have to combine it with the beard straightener to see the results.
Follow these simple steps to use a beard relaxing cream:
- Wash the beard with the beard relaxing shampoo.
- Use disposable gloves to divide your facial hair into small sections and apply the beard relaxing cream on each beard area without getting it on the skin.
- Spread it over your skin with a beard comb beard.
- Rinse the beard relaxer after half an hour, but without washing your beard.
- Dry the beard with a hairdryer, but don’t use the towel; otherwise, remove the cream.
- Use straightening iron after drying the beard to smooth out the curls.
- When you are done, use beard shampoo to wash out the beard relaxer, but repeat this action three times.
Then apply the beard conditioner and leave it on. Leave on for 30 minutes, then rinse and towel dry your beard.
FAQs About Straightened Beard
Should you straighten your beard?
Beard straightening isn’t for everyone. Some beards curl and wave in a way that looks classy on its own. If it works for you, why not embrace it?
That said, if you’re are looking for a more refined look, straightening your beard will help you with that.
Either way, the golden rule is that beards need care and attention.
Are beard straighteners bad for your beard?
Whether it’s the hair on your head or the hair on your face, overexposure to heat will damage your hair.
Avoid the hair on the face that becomes brittle and wiry. If beard straighteners are your thing, proceed with caution. Protect your beard before use with oil or a heat protection product.
Why is my beard hair so wiry?
Should I comb my beard up or down?
Brushing your beard up first will separate the facial hairs. Separating the hairs will detangle them, making it easier to slide your comb or beard brush through your beard when the time comes.
Everyone has their own ideas about personal style. For many men, a wild, bushy beard is just what they want.
But if you find overly curly facial hair just too messy or just prefer the look of a straight, smooth beard, be prepared to work for it.
You now have the know-how to straighten beard hair.
When you’re ready to apply the right products and methods and be happiest if your beard is straight.
These are proven, quick, and effective ways to get great results.
Be careful when using chemicals or straighteners from burning your beard and skin. Whenever possible, choose to smooth your curly beard naturally, without heat.
Remember, take good care of your beard and treat it with the respect it deserves. Great beard comes even more responsibility.