This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Studies show that up to two-thirds of women experience significant hair thinning or loss during menopause.
If you’re one of them, don’t despair! The right shampoo and conditioner can help reduce the effects of hormonal changes on your hair.
We’ve compiled a list of 9 best shampoos for menopausal hair: from preventing further thinning to stimulating growth, these products will have you feeling confident in no time!
Table Of Contents
- 9 Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Menopausal Hair
- 1. Plantur Hair Growth Shampoo for Thinning Hair Women
- 2. Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Anti Thinning Hair Thickening Therapy
- 3. ThickTails Hair Growth Shampoo Conditioner Women Hair Loss Treatment
- 4. Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Set Sulfate Paraben Free Thin Hair
- 5. Alterna Caviar Anti Aging Densifying Shampoo 8 5 Ounces
- 6. Botanical Hair Growth Shampoo Alopecia Dht Blocker
- 7. Renpure Biotin Collagen Thickening Shampoo 16 Ounce
- 8. Silver Brightening Purple Shampoo Conditioner Set Grey Blonde Hair
- 9. Kerastase Densifique Thickening Strengthening Shampoo Fine Thin Hair
- What Causes Hair Loss During Menopause?
- Understanding Thinning Hair Shampoos
- How Hair Loss Shampoos Work
- What to Look for in a Shampoo for Thinning Hair Due to Menopause
- Does Hair Loss From Menopause Grow Back?
- Tips for Maintaining Healthy Hair During Menopause
9 Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Menopausal Hair
If you’re experiencing thinning hair and loss during menopause, you’ll want to find the best shampoo and conditioner to address these concerns.
Look for products specifically formulated for menopausal hair, such as:
- Plantur Hair Growth Shampoo
- Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Anti Thinning Hair Thickening Therapy
These options contain ingredients like caffeine, niacin, biotin, and essential oils that can stimulate hair follicles and promote growth while nourishing your scalp.
Take care of your changing tresses with these top choices designed to revitalize thinning hair during menopause.
1. Plantur Hair Growth Shampoo for Thinning Hair Women
This shampoo is specifically formulated to nourish thinning hair and promote natural growth. It contains caffeine, niacin, and zinc which stimulate the hair follicles and add volume.
Designed for women over 40 who are dealing with the effects of menopause on their hair, this shampoo helps create fuller, thicker locks with daily use. Not only does it address thinning by adding body to your tresses but also makes styling easier.
The pleasantly scented formula reduces shedding and helps your hair look more abundant overall.
- Contains ingredients like caffeine, niacin, and zinc that stimulate hair growth.
- Nourishes thinning strands with white tea extract and wheat protein.
- Designed specifically for women over 40 dealing with menopausal effects on their locks.
- Some users may find it a bit pricey compared to other options.
- May cause flyaway strands in humid weather conditions.
2. Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Anti Thinning Hair Thickening Therapy
View On Amazon
You’ll love the Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Anti Thinning Hair Thickening Therapy for its ability to reduce hair thinning and promote thicker, healthier hair.
Formulated with 17 DHT blockers, including nettle extract, pumpkin seed, and black cumin seed oil, this organic shampoo and conditioner set is clinically tested to strengthen hair and increase volume.
With an organic aloe vera base free from sulfates and parabens, it promotes overall scalp health while providing nourishment for all hair types.
- Clinically tested to reduce thinning
- Strengthens hair
- Increases volume
- Pricier compared to other options
- Price fluctuations may affect reordering decisions
3. ThickTails Hair Growth Shampoo Conditioner Women Hair Loss Treatment
View On Amazon
ThickTails Hair Growth Shampoo Conditioner is a women’s hair loss treatment that aims to address thinning hair and promote growth during menopause. This UK-made product contains active ingredients like Saw Palmetto and Caffeine, which help reduce shedding and stimulate regrowth.
The shampoo has a pleasant scent, while the conditioner may have a more medicinal smell. With regular use over about 3 months, many users report positive effects on hair thickness, reduced hair loss, and regrowth in thinning areas.
It moisturizes the hair without drying out the scalp and is safe for color-treated locks.
- Reduces shedding
- Promotes thicker-looking hair
- Moisturizing formula
- Medicinal scent of conditioner
- Mixed opinions on bottle size compared to price
4. Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Set Sulfate Paraben Free Thin Hair
View On Amazon
For thinning hair during menopause, try the Biotin Shampoo Conditioner Set – it’s sulfate and paraben-free, promoting thicker hair without harsh chemicals.
This salon-grade quality product is specifically formulated to provide the appearance of fuller locks by boosting volume and increasing space between hair strands. Suitable for all hair types, this cruelty-free set requires 90 days for noticeable results.
The larger bottle sizes compared to other brands offer a cost-effective alternative to salon-quality products. However, some users have expressed concerns about a cancer warning associated with the product.
- Sulfate and paraben-free formula
- Promotes thicker hair without harsh chemicals
- Suitable for all hair types
- Reasonable price
- Larger bottle sizes
- Some concerns about a cancer warning associated with the product
5. Alterna Caviar Anti Aging Densifying Shampoo 8 5 Ounces
View On Amazon
The Alterna Caviar Anti Aging Densifying Shampoo, available in an 8.5-ounce bottle, is a top choice for menopausal hair due to its ability to add thickness and texture while improving overall hair condition.
Formulated with caviar extract, this shampoo aims to infuse body and softness into aging hair. Users have reported that the shampoo appears to thicken the hair over time and improve growth.
- Makes hair look thicker after a few washes.
- Softens hair and provides substance and texture.
- Appears to improve overall condition of the hair.
- Thin formula makes dispensing quick.
- Doesn’t make a significant difference in thickness of hair
- Some find it pricey compared ton other options
6. Botanical Hair Growth Shampoo Alopecia Dht Blocker
View On Amazon
If you’re experiencing menopausal hair loss and looking for a shampoo that can help with natural hair growth stimulation, Botanical Hair Growth Shampoo Alopecia DHT Blocker may be worth considering.
This scalp-soothing shampoo is formulated with lemongrass to calm irritated scalps, prevent hair thinning, and promote new hair growth. It also contains rosemary which improves circulation, provides nutrients to the follicles, and hydrates dry itchy scalps.
With high levels of antioxidants, this shampoo supports scalp health and promotes healthy circulation for optimal hair growth.
- Contains soothing ingredients like lemongrass to calm irritation
- Rosemary improves blood flow to the scalp
- High in antioxidants
- Limited usage experience available at this time
7. Renpure Biotin Collagen Thickening Shampoo 16 Ounce
View On Amazon
You’ll love the Renpure Biotin Collagen Thickening Shampoo 16 Ounce for its weightless nutrients, volume, and strength. This shampoo is formulated with a custom blend of biotin and collagen to provide your hair with essential nutrients that promote thickness and growth.
The addition of bergamot, apple, and jasmine gives it a pleasant scent that enhances your shower experience.
However, reviews on this product are mixed; some users have noticed reduced hair loss while others found the consistency thin and watery or experienced residue left on their hair.
- Contains biotin and collagen for added strength
- Pleasant scent from natural ingredients
- Thin consistency for some users
- Limited cleaning ability reported by some
8. Silver Brightening Purple Shampoo Conditioner Set Grey Blonde Hair
View On Amazon
For menopausal hair in shades of silver and gray, one highly recommended option is the Silver Brightening Purple Shampoo Conditioner Set for Grey Blonde Hair. This set is specifically designed to address the unique needs of gray and silver hair by removing yellow and brassy tones, enhancing highlights, and boosting shine.
Enriched with macadamia nut oil, collagen, and green tea extract, this shampoo conditioner duo not only brightens your hair but also strengthens it while providing moisture to prevent split ends. The purple tone in salt-and-pepper hair remains intact without any yellowing. Users have praised its effectiveness in preventing brassiness as well as improving shine and overall hair health.
- Prevents yellowing in gray hair
- Enhances brightness and highlights
- Boosts shine
- Some users report a decrease in conditioning properties
- Packaging issues such as leaking bottles
9. Kerastase Densifique Thickening Strengthening Shampoo Fine Thin Hair
View On Amazon
To add density and thickness to your fine, thinning hair during menopause, try Kerastase Densifique Thickening Strengthening Shampoo.
This thickening shampoo is formulated with hyaluronic acid to purify the scalp and add shine to your hair. It not only cleanses and clarifies the scalp but also helps reduce dryness and dandruff. The floral scent adds a pleasant touch to your shower routine. Suitable for normal hair types, this liquid shampoo aims to thicken fine or thinning hair without weighing it down.
- Adds density and thickness
- Purifies the scalp
- Adds shine
- Mixed reviews on its effectiveness for different hair types
- Some users experienced static due to sulfates
- Price may be a concern for some individuals
What Causes Hair Loss During Menopause?
As we continue discussing menopausal hair care, let’s delve into the topic of what causes hair loss during menopause. Understanding the factors behind this common concern can help you take proactive steps in managing your hair health.
Here are some key contributors to menopausal hair loss:
- Genetics: Your genetic makeup plays a significant role in determining whether you’re prone to experiencing hair thinning or loss during menopause.
- Hormonal changes: Fluctuations in hormone levels, particularly a decrease in estrogen and an increase in androgens (male hormones), can disrupt the natural growth cycle of your hair follicles and lead to shedding.
- Stress: Chronic stress can impact hormonal balance, which may contribute to increased severity of menopausal symptoms includinghair loss.
- Nutrition: Inadequate nutrition or deficiencies in certain vitamins and minerals essential for healthy hair growthcan exacerbatehair thinningduringmenopause
- Age:hairfollicles naturally weakenand become more susceptibleto damage as we age.
By understanding these underlying causes, you’ll be better equipped to address women’s top concerns regarding their changing tresses.
Understanding Thinning Hair Shampoos
Choose shampoos specifically formulated for menopausal hair thinning and loss.
Thinning hair shampoos are designed to address the unique needs of menopausal women experiencing hair loss or thinning. These shampoos contain specific ingredients that target scalp health, promote hair growth, and strengthen the existing strands.
To better understand how these shampoos work, let’s take a look at some common ingredients found in effective thinning hair shampoos:
Thinning Hair Shampoo
Shampoo is an essential part of any hair care routine, especially for those dealing with menopausal
hair changes such as thinning or loss.
These specialized formulas are created with key ingredients that aim to improve scalp health,
strengthen existing strands,and encourage new growth.
By using a shampoo specifically formulated for your changing needs during this stage of life,you can effectively manage and minimize the effects of hormonal fluctuations on your locks.
When choosing a shampoo for thinning hair, it’s important to pay attention to the ingredients and their benefits. Look out for key components like biotin which promotes healthy hair growth or caffeine which stimulates the follicles and boosts circulation.
Similarly, ketoconazole is a popular ingredient known for its anti-androgenic effects. These ingredients help improve overall scalp health and support the growth of stronger, fuller strands.
However, it’s important to remember that individual results may vary from person to person as everyone has unique hair needs; what works well for you may not be equally effective for others.
How Hair Loss Shampoos Work
When using hair loss shampoos, you can expect them to work by:
These shampoos are formulated with specific ingredients that target the root causes of hair loss during menopause.
- Stimulating follicles: Hair loss shampoos contain ingredients like caffeine and biotin that help increase blood flow to the scalp and stimulate dormant hair follicles.
- Strengthening hair strands: Certain shampoos include keratin or other proteins that fortify the structure of each strand, making them less prone to breakage.
- Promoting scalp health: Many menopausal women experience dryness or inflammation on their scalps due to hormonal fluctuations. Hair loss shampoos often contain soothing agents like aloe vera or tea tree oil.
It is important to note that while these shampoo products can be effective in promoting regrowth and preventing further thinning, results may vary for each individual. It’s always advisable to consult reviews from trusted sources before choosing the best shampoo for your specific needs.
What to Look for in a Shampoo for Thinning Hair Due to Menopause
Now that you understand how hair loss shampoos work, let’s dive into what to look for in a shampoo specifically designed for thinning hair due to menopause.
When choosing a shampoo, it’s important to prioritize certain factors.
- Look for sulfate-free and paraben-free options as these ingredients can potentially irritate the scalp and strip the natural oils from your hair.
- Opting for cruelty-free products ensures that no animals were harmed during testing or production.
- Consider shampoos with natural ingredients like biotin, caffeine, and essential oils known to promote hair growth and thickness.
- Additionally, affordability is key when searching for an effective yet budget-friendly option.
Many brands offer specialized formulations such as hair-thickening shampoos that target thinning strands by stimulating follicles while also strengthening the overall health of your locks.
With these considerations in mind, you can find a suitable shampoo catered towards addressing thinning hair caused by menopause, hoping to restore volume and encourage healthy regrowth.
Does Hair Loss From Menopause Grow Back?
If you’re wondering whether hair loss from menopause grows back, the answer is that it can vary for each individual woman.
While some women may experience regrowth after menopausal hair loss, others may not see significant improvement. Factors such as genetics, overall health, and the severity of hair loss can influence regrowth outcomes.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Hair regrowth takes time: It’s important to be patient as it can take several months or even longer for new hairs to grow and fill in thinning areas.
- Permanent hair loss during menopause: In some cases, hormonal changes during menopause can lead to permanent hair follicle damage which may result in irreversible baldness.
- Does hair loss from menopause stop? Menopausal-related shedding usually slows down over time but doesn’t always completely stop on its own without intervention.
4.Hair Loss After Menopause Treatment: Treatments such as minoxidil or hormone replacement therapy (HRT) have shown effectiveness in promoting new growth and preventing further thinning when used consistently.
Remember that consulting with a healthcare professional specializing in dermatology or trichology will help determine the best course of action for addressing your specific concerns about post-menopausal hair loss.
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Hair During Menopause
To maintain healthy hair during menopause, prioritize a balanced diet and stress management.
Here are three essential tips for maintaining healthy hair during this stage of life:
- Follow a Healthy Diet: Consuming nutrient-rich foods is crucial for promoting strong and vibrant hair. Incorporate plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats into your meals to provide the necessary vitamins and minerals that support hair health.
- Avoid Heat Styling: Excessive heat from styling tools can weaken the structure of your hair strands over time. Minimize heat damage by air drying your hair whenever possible or using low-heat settings on styling tools.
- Practice Scalp Massage: Regular scalp massages stimulate blood circulation in the scalp area, which helps nourish the follicles with oxygen and nutrients needed for optimal growth.
Remember to trim split ends regularly to prevent further damage and use gentle shampoos specifically designed for menopausal women that promote cleansing without stripping away natural oils while strengthening weakened strands.
Menopausal hair loss can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right shampoo and conditioner, you can reduce the effects of thinning hair and even stimulate growth.
Our list of 9 shampoos for menopausal hair, from Plantur to Kerastase, are formulated to strengthen and thicken your hair while being gentle on your scalp. With regular use of these products, you can restore your hair’s natural health for a beautiful mane you can feel confident about.