This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
If you’re a blonde, silver, or platinum-haired individual, you may have heard of blue shampoo. But what exactly is it, and what does it do?
In this article, we’ll explain what exactly blue shampoo does and how to use it for the best results.
From removing unwanted orange and red tones in blondes to adding subtle purple highlights in dark hair, blue shampoos offer many benefits that make them an essential addition to any hair care routine.
Keep reading to find out why blue shampoo should be part of your journey toward beautiful locks!
Table Of Contents
What is Blue Shampoo?
Blue shampoo is a hair care product specifically designed to neutralize brassy tones and yellow hues in blond, silver, or white hair. It gets its blue color from the addition of blue pigments, which help to cancel out the warm tones in light hair.
Blue shampoo is most commonly used by individuals with blonde, silver, or white hair, as these hair colors are more prone to brassiness due to the natural lightening process that occurs with age or over-processing.
What does blue shampoo do?
Blue shampoo is designed to neutralize brassy tones and yellow hues in light hair, giving it a brighter and more vibrant appearance. It does this by using blue pigments to cancel out the warm tones in light hair. The result is hair that looks cleaner, fresher, and more vibrant.
Blue shampoo can also help to nourish and moisturize the hair, leaving it feeling softer and more manageable. Many blue shampoos also contain conditioning ingredients, such as nourishing oils and vitamins, to help strengthen and protect the hair.
Who Should Use Blue Shampoo?
Blue shampoo is most commonly used by individuals with blonde, silver, or platinum hair. These hair colors are prone to yellowing or brassiness over time, and blue shampoo can help to keep them looking bright and vibrant.
Grey-haired individuals can also benefit from using blue shampoo, as it can help to enhance the vibrancy of their hair and counteract the dulling effects of grey hair.
If you have any other hair color, blue shampoo may not be the best choice for you. While it can be used on any hair type, it may not have the desired effect on hair colors other than blonde, silver, or platinum.
How Often to Use Blue Shampoo
The frequency with which you should use blue shampoo will depend on a few factors, including the natural color of your hair and the desired level of toning.
If you have very light blonde hair and are looking to maintain a bright, platinum color, you may want to use blue shampoo every time you wash your hair. For those with darker blonde or silver hair, using blue shampoo once or twice a week may be sufficient.
If you’re using blue shampoo to counteract yellow tones in your grey hair, you may want to use it less frequently – perhaps once or twice a month.
It’s important to keep in mind that blue shampoo can be drying to the hair, so it’s best to use it in moderation and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
Blue vs. Purple Shampoo
Blue and purple shampoos are both designed to neutralize brassy tones and yellow hues in light hair. However, they work in slightly different ways.
Blue shampoo uses blue pigments to cancel out warm tones, while purple shampoo uses purple pigments to neutralize yellow hues. Both can be effective at neutralizing brassy tones, but purple shampoo may be a better option for individuals with very yellow or brassy hair.
It’s also worth noting that purple shampoo is generally more pigmented than blue shampoo, so it may be more effective at
How To Use Blue Shampoo For The Best Results?
Using blue shampoo is easy, but there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure the best results:
- Start with clean, dry hair. Before using blue shampoo, make sure to wash your hair with a regular shampoo to remove any dirt or product build-up. It’s also important to use the shampoo on dry hair, as the blue pigments will adhere better to dry hair.
- Use a small amount of shampoo. A little bit of blue shampoo goes a long way, so start with a small amount and work your way up if needed. Too much shampoo can result in overly-toned or even blue-tinted hair.
- Massage the shampoo into your hair. Work the shampoo into your hair, making sure to cover all areas evenly. You may want to let the shampoo sit on your hair for a few minutes to allow the blue pigments to fully deposit.
- Rinse thoroughly. Make sure to rinse the shampoo out thoroughly, as any remaining shampoo can lead to uneven toning or blue-tinted
It’s important to note that blue shampoo is not a replacement for your regular shampoo. Rather, it’s a product that should be used in addition to your regular shampoo to help neutralize brassy tones and yellow hues.
Popular Brands and Variety of Purples Shampoos
There are a wide variety of purple shampoos on the market, from high-end brands to more affordable options. Some popular brands include:
- Matrix Total Results Keep Me Vivid Shampoo: This purple shampoo is formulated with a blend of conditioning agents and nourishing oils to help keep blond, silver, and white hair looking bright and vibrant.
- Paul Mitchell Platinum Blonde Shampoo: This purple shampoo is designed to neutralize yellow tones and enhance the vibrancy of blond, silver, and white hair. It contains nourishing ingredients to help strengthen and protect the hair.
- Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo: This purple shampoo is formulated with a blend of conditioning agents and keratin to help nourish and protect the hair. It’s designed to neutralize yellow tones and enhance the vibrancy of blond, silver, and white hair.
- Pravana The Perfect Blonde Purple Toning Sulfate-Free Shampoo: This sulfate-free purple shampoo is formulated with a blend of conditioning agents and keratin to help nourish and protect the hair. It’s designed to neutralize yellow tones and enhance the vibrancy of blond, silver, and white hair.
- L’Oreal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Purple Shampoo: This purple shampoo is formulated with a blend of nourishing ingredients and pigments to help neutralize yellow tones and enhance the vibrancy of blond, silver, and white hair.
In addition to these brands, there are many other purple shampoos on the market, ranging in price and formulation. It’s always a good idea to do some research and read reviews before selecting a purple shampoo to ensure you’re getting the best product for your hair type and needs.
Blue shampoo is a type of hair care product that is specifically formulated to neutralize yellow tones in blonde, silver, or platinum hair. It works by depositing a blue-violet pigment onto the hair, which cancels out the yellow tones and helps to keep your hair looking bright and fresh.
But blue shampoo isn’t just for blondes – anyone with grey hair can also use it to help keep it looking vibrant and shiny. The blue-violet pigments in the shampoo can help to counteract the dulling effects of grey hair, making it look brighter and more youthful.
So, what does blue shampoo do? In short, it helps to neutralize yellow tones and enhance the vibrancy of blonde, silver, or platinum hair. It can also help to keep grey hair looking brighter and more youthful.
Recommended Reading: How to Get Toner Out of Hair: 8 Steps & Considerations