This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
According to statistics released by Google, there is now more interest in men’s hair than women. So finding the best hair creams for men is an essential quest nowadays.
Hair cream is a famous men’s styling product that offers a light to medium hold with some or no and natural shine for a structured, natural finish that other care products cannot match.
But not every hair styling cream is made with the same non-greasy, high-quality ingredients or gives men the shape and ability to make fabulous hairstyles.
Hair cream offers many benefits for men who take hair care seriously, so we want to focus on the best hair styling cream.
We will look at what we think are the best men’s hair creams are available, what to consider when buying hair cream, how to apply it, and how it is compared to other styling products.
Table Of Contents
- What Exactly Is Hair Cream?
- Things to Consider for Choosing the Best Hair Cream for Men
- 8 Best Hair Creams for Men of 2024
- 1. Bumble And Bumble Grooming Cream
- 2. Layrite Natural Matte Natural Men’s Hair Cream
- 3. American Crew Forming Cream
- 4. Buck’s Burley Styling Cream For Men’s Hair
- 5. Kick Active hair cream
- 6. Smooth Viking Hydrating Fiber men’s hair cream
- 7. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream
- 8. Krieger + Söhne Forming hair cream
- How to Apply Hair Cream for Men
- FAQs About Hair Styling Cream
What Exactly Is Hair Cream?
Hair cream is a hair styling product cleaner than pomade or clay but not as stiff or inflexible as gel, hair wax, or sea salt spray. It has a pliable consistency and efficiently stops curly frizzy, and dry hair.
The best hair cream has many strengths and is excellent for creating a soft, natural, and effortless look.
Things to Consider for Choosing the Best Hair Cream for Men
men’s hair creams are not all the same, but they have standard features in common. They are also versatile and can have different functions for styling your hair.
The main question is, what should you look out for in the best styling cream for men?
You will find similar ingredients in most hair creams; although the list is a bit different for those that are labeled (completely natural); the ingredients you should look for are:
- Natural oils (including essential oils and carrier oils). Avoid synthetic oils or mineral oils because they block moisture from the hair.
- Although many creams contain alcohol, you should look for creams without parabens or sulfates. Also, avoid petroleum, as it can clog pores and accumulate on the scalp.
- Water must be one of the first ingredients listed. Not to be clear, but water is the best moisturizer for hair. Water provides the moisture, while natural oils seal it.
The grip of a hair styling product indicates that it can hold your hair in one place after you have styled it. Your hair won’t move or bounce much if it has a high hold. In some cases, a product with a high hold makes your hair feel: and looks: pretty stiff, but that’s OK for some longer hairstyles.
Hair creams usually have a low shelf life and give your hair flexibility. They are also lighter than many other styling hair products, including pomade and hair wax.
The Shine of a men’s hair product is the appearance of your hair after applying the said product. A matte finish ensures that your locks look like they do not contain a product, while a high gloss can give a glossy or even wet look.
4. Hair Type
It is essential to know your hair type, regardless of the styling product. One of the benefits of hair cream is that it offers texture and a natural grip on different hair types, and it can provide extra volume for men with thin hair. Again, it is a versatile product suitable for different short to medium styles.
Like everything else, the fragrance of a product is an individual preference, and some prefer that their hair products contain no odor at all. Other species may contain more natural scents due to the oils and ingredients in the product.
8 Best Hair Creams for Men of 2024
Although there are many good styling creams For men, we dared to assess the top brands and care creams.
Whether you need a light styling cream for your long hair or a way to soften your thick hairstyle with a natural texture cream, these are the best hair creams for men.
1. Bumble And Bumble Grooming Cream
You may not be familiar with Bumble and Bumble, but it has been around since 1977, when it was first opened at the New York City hair salon. It has come a long way and now makes various hair products for men and women, including the excellent styling cream.
The Bumble and Bumble Grooming Cream is one of the best hair styling creams for thick hair and curly hair, wavy hair, or coarse hair that never seems to stay in place. It softens the hair to give it a natural look while offering a medium hold designed to last the day.
It is also an excellent option for men with hair with thick curls and waves because the grip is not so tight that you lose your hair and the natural resilience of your hair. After all, it is light and not too heavy. It also benefits people with thinner hair, but it is undoubtedly the right choice as a styling cream for men with long hair.
BB’s care cream ensures that you look natural and, at the same time, provides a light and medium shine that is not greasy. It comes in a 5-ounce tube: instead of a pot or can, making it easy to spend the amount you need (which is not much).
We also like this styling cream’s list of natural ingredients such as jojoba, sweet almond, avocado, and safflower oil. It also contains alcohol.
- Ideal for men with curly and frizzy hair
- It offers an excellent grip that is not too thick
- Also good for men with sensitive skin and scalp
- More expensive than many other creams
2. Layrite Natural Matte Natural Men’s Hair Cream
View On AmazonThe water-based, lightweight formula of Layrite Natural Cream is an ideal solution to keep your hair in one place throughout the day without losing weight.
Your hair will feel smooth and soft, and you will find it has a better definition and shape.
Low to medium hold, the flexible shelf life of this item makes it natural and not stiff or greasy, as can happen with some other men’s hair products.
If you are looking for a softer, easier-looking appearance, apply it to wet hair. But if your goal is better manageable hair with a matte shiny finish, make sure your hair is dehydrated.
The application process is fairly simple, just like removing the cream. You only have to rinse it with water.
- Flexible, medium hold that lasts all-day
- Ensures the hair does not appear stiff or greasy
- It feels light without weighing down the hair
- It makes hair soft and natural-looking
- Although nice, the smell is overwhelming.
- You need to apply more hair products to keep the hair in place.
3. American Crew Forming Cream
Absolutely no list of styling products for men would be complete without the now-iconic American Crew brand.
American Crew has undoubtedly earned its reputation with its affordable and effective men’s hair products. This shaping cream certainly meets the brand’s reputation.
The glycerin softens and swells the hair shaft, making the hair appear thicker while providing an adjustable grip. If you have a new cut or going for a new look, this is the product to start with.
This styling cream works for almost every man. It offers a solid shelf lifetime.
It smells great, works smoothly in the hair, washes well, and is not too shiny or dull.
In short, as Sharp Magazine aptly says, (these are the right things.)
If you are looking for more validation, you will find it on the website of image consultants Yellow on blue. They illustrate the benefits briefly and concisely (with wide availability and quality and consistency of the product, I can heartily recommend this product to any young professional looking for more natural shine and confidence.)
- It is best for long thick hair and usually does better with shorter hairstyles.
- It has a pliable fixation that you can expect all day long
- Gloss levels depend on the application, giving you even more control.
- It does lose some power when you sweat, so it’s not great for training.
- A few users report some grease on the headrests, but it’s certainly not universal (so we believe it’s a matter of how much you use)
4. Buck’s Burley Styling Cream For Men’s Hair
The list of requirements for the best hair cream for men is not extensive. It should certainly offer a flexible hold and also help to retain moisture while the crucible tames.
Buck Burley’s Hair Styling Cream does all three and more and is one of the best hair creams for men today.
It even contains male pheromones in case you need extra.
This hair styling cream has much to do, including the subtle yet provocative sandalwood pleasant scent, namely superior natural hold, hydration, and the ability to eliminate the crucible that teases many men.
And there’s another not-so-small benefit: the Buck Burley crew says the styling cream formula helps repair and rebuild hair follicles, regardless of the type of hair you have. It even adds volume to hair that could use a bit of a boost.
As for its strong hold, it is firm but never stiff. You will keep your locks tamed, but without giving your hair the feeling that it has the consistency of plywood. That is always a plus.
- It helps make hair thicker
- Tames frizz while offering added formula
- A little goes a long way.
- A bit too greasy for a small percentage of users
5. Kick Active hair cream
If you are looking for the best hair cream that doesn’t make your hair stiff, greasy, or flaky, you want to try Kick Active Cream.
This product has a mighty, firm grip that keeps your hair under control, long-lasting hold, and gives it a fuller look.
Moreover, it offers a medium shine and a semi-matte finish that enhances the appearance.
If your hair is damaged or just too dry, nourishing argan and coconut oil make this product’s mix and make it much healthier and more robust.
The fresh, citrus-like scent appeals to many, but don’t worry if you don’t like it. The scent fades very quickly and leaves you with soft and smooth-looking hair.
- No flakes, stiffness, and greasy feeling
- Powerful, all-day shelf life
- Repairs hair and prevents dryness
- A fresh, masculine scent
- Small container
- Slightly sticky texture cream
6. Smooth Viking Hydrating Fiber men’s hair cream
View On AmazonFirst, you need to know that this is a brand without cruelty, which is always a plus. You will find a mixture of lanolin wax, beeswax, castor oil, Abyssinian seed oil, argan oil, soybean oil, green tea extract, and even quinoa.
There are no parabens, although they have added fragrance, which is disappointing.
You can apply this to damp or dry hair, which is usually relatively simple for most men.
You get a little more hold and high shine and less grip when you apply it to damp hair, and you would expect the opposite if you use it to dry hair.
Some users have found that they need more than other styling creams, but you don’t have to start with more.
It is hard to put your finger on the scent here. Clean is probably the closest thing to you – it’s so neutral.
It’s an excellent choice for men who can’t stand scented products.
You will find that this usually costs more than $ 12 for the 2-ounce container, which goes up to more than $ 6 / ounce, which is undoubtedly pricey.
It’s available at Prime, so you save at least on shipping.
- Adds thickness and volume to thin and thinning hair
- A real medium to hold and high shine, and you can choose the amount of shine you want
- Best for short to medium length hair and not bad with curls
- Few negatives, if present.
- Price is accurate, a disadvantage.
7. Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shaping Cream
You can find tea tree oil in various hair products for men, and with good reason. After all, it is an essential oil with many benefits for the hair, including:
- Tea tree oil stimulates hair growth by unclogging hair follicles and nourishing their roots.
- It is excellent for combating dandruff.
- Tea tree oil fights fungus, bacteria, and allergic reactions that cause an itchy scalp.
- Tea tree oil is also helpful in controlling head lice.
So, Paul Mitchell’s Shaping Cream does well with the addition of tea tree oil, but there are plenty of other reasons to love it.
First, you will appreciate the versatility of the hair cream for men because it works well on long thick hair, thin, straight hair, and curly hair. You will also love the firmness that is strong enough to hold your hair in place throughout the day without adjusting it due to stray or frizz. It is also easy to wash at the end of the day.
Tea Tree Shaping Cream from Paul Mitchell has a matte medium shine, matte finish, and: as said: a firm hold, but the hold still ensures the right amount of movement and resilience in your hair. Your hair looks natural and not like you ’have it saturated with excessive amounts of product.
One of the many other ingredients in this styling cream is castor oil, another oil with various hair-friendly benefits. Although it contains alcohol, it is paraben-free.
The hair styling cream also has a lightweight hold feel that is not sticky, unlike some other creams, and you only need a small amount to get the job done. You need to apply it to damp hair to get the best results.
The Tea Tree Shaping Cream has a masculine, pleasant scent. Although it may be a bit strong for some, most users like it.
- Infused with tea tree oil
- Lightweight hold
- It offers a firm but not too firm hold
- It can be a bit greasy on long hair
8. Krieger + Söhne Forming hair cream
Whether you have long or short hair, Krieger + Söhne hair styling cream for men ensures that it stays in place and shapes it in the desired style.
The hold is mediocre, but you can achieve a natural, matte finish with a little blow-drying. Even if you sweat a lot all day, the hair styling cream will keep your hair looking its best.
You will not experience flakes, white residue, or a greasy feeling, but you will notice an improvement in the texture of your hair.
The product has a mild odor and does not irritate your scalp, regardless of skin type. A large pot of 4 oz is an excellent value for the money, especially since a bit goes a long way.
Wash the cream easily at the end of the day with running water for easy removal. The only thing that you may find difficult is the application, given the thick consistency.
- Medium hold with a natural shiny finish
- Non-flaky or greasy
- Sweat-resistant and easy to wash out of the hair
- A large pot of 4 oz
- Feels very sticky
- Thick consistency, making it difficult to get out of the pot and spread evenly over the hair.
How to Apply Hair Cream for Men
The hair cream works best when applied to freshly washed hair that has been dried with a towel.
This is how you apply it for the best look:
Take a small amount of your product (start with a pea size) and rub it over your hands to the same amount.
Let your fingers run through your locks from the roots to the ends.
Work the product from back to front for the best results. Make sure that you distribute the product evenly over every part of your scalp; otherwise, it will be clear that you are using a product. This would destroy the purpose of the natural look that creams are known for.
If desired, use a hairdryer for a more stylish look. If necessary, use a comb or fingers for the look that you want to create.
The cream gives the best results when used on moderately soaked hair. Although you can apply the cream on wet hair strands, it does not reach the maximum volume and does not last that long.
However, curl people prefer to apply the cream to wet strands as it helps to tame the curls.
Moreover, hair cream can be added to dry hair for more reliable fixation. However, it does not look natural.
FAQs About Hair Styling Cream
How does hair cream differ from other men’s hair products?
Hair cream is great because it does the work of hair oils or pomades without the greasy mess. Some hair creams can even nourish your scalp and hair follicles!
Hair gel and hair spray can give a firm hold but often lack the natural feeling that cream offers. Hair cream gives you much more movement and flexibility so that your hair still feels soft.
What types of hair or haircuts is hair cream for?
Hair cream works well for most hair lengths. The main difference is how much you should use. Most creams are incredibly concentrated, so start with a minimal amount and build.
If you opt for more extreme styles, you should probably come in hair gel or sea salt spray. However, creams are perfect if only look for light, natural fixation, and lint reduction.
Especially suitable for men with curly, long, thinner, or coarse hair. It is also worth trying if you let your hair grow and change into a looser style. Or men who want to look a little better groomed without the hassle of actually styling their hair.
What sort of texture should you expect from a hair cream?
As you would expect, hair cream has a creamy texture. It is much less sticky or stiff than hair gel or wax, although usually quite thick. Although creams often contain moisturizers, they should not feel greasy when applied to your hair.
Is it challenging to wash styling cream?
No. It looks a bit like a leave-in conditioner. You should be able to wash it out relatively quickly. Firming creams are even more natural to wash.
As long as you clean your scalp, you probably don’t have to worry about the build-up.
Selecting the best hair styling cream for men can revolutionize your appearance and open up the possibility of rocking some of the latest hairstyles and hairstyles.
The right product can take you there if you have short, medium, or long hair and want to blur a comb-over style, a smooth cut, a structured modern neck, or a curly fringe.
What’s your opinion? Use your best hair cream for men, and if so, what is your favorite product? Have you tried one of the creams on our list? Let us know as we always welcome your comments and suggestions.
- 10 Best Hair Removing Creams That Safe & Work Well of 2024
- 20 Best Medium Length Hairstyles for Men (2024 Fresh Styles)
- The Best Hair Spray for Women (Buying Guide & Review 2024)
- Best Hairsprays for Fine Hair: Top 10 Picks
- 10 Best Hand Lotions for Men Works Quickly to Get Silky Skin 2024
- Castor Oil for Curly Hair: Benefits, Effects, How to Use (Easy Ways)
- Coconut Oil for Weight Loss: is It a Miracle or a Myth?
- How to Get Volume in Hair Naturally at Home: 10+ Simple Tips