This site is supported by our readers. We may earn a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through links.
Sisterlocks are a type of natural hair locking technique that is achieved by using small and cylindrical locs instead of traditional dreadlocks. Sisterlocks are usually worn by black women and are often considered to be a more refined and polished version of dreadlocks.
In this blog post, we will be discussing everything you need to know about this unique hairstyle, including prices, installation, and more. So whether you are considering getting sisterlocks or you are simply curious about them, be sure to read on!
Table Of Contents
What Are Sisterlocks?
Sisterlocks are a unique type of dreadlock hairstyle that is becoming increasingly popular among black women. Unlike traditional dreadlocks, which can be difficult to care for and often require harsh chemicals to maintain, sisterlocks are much easier to manage and are gentle on the hair.
Though they may seem like a recent trend, sisterlocks have actually been around for centuries. The style was first invented by two sisters, Cindy and Joanne Conrow, in Jamaica in the early 1800s.
Who wanted to come up with a way to wear their hair in dreadlocks that were both stylish and professional. The name “sisterlocks” comes from the fact that the technique was created by sisters.
Since then, it has been worn by many famous black women, including singer Erykah Badu and actress Viola Davis.
There are many benefits to wearing sisterlocks, including the fact that they are low maintenance and can be styled in a variety of ways.
The Difference Between Sisterlocks and dreadlocks
Dreadlocks are a hairstyle that has been around for centuries, while Sisterlocks are a relatively new hair trend. Both dreadlocks and Sisterlocks are achieved by tightly twisting the hair, but there are some key differences between the two styles.
Dreadlocks are typically worn by people with Afro-textured hair, while Sisterlocks can be worn by people of any hair type. Dreadlocks are also generally larger and less uniform in size than Sisterlocks.
The locking process for dreadlocks is also different than for Sisterlocks. Dreadlocks are usually achieved by letting the hair grow naturally and not brushing it, which causes the hair to tangle and form dreadlocks. Sisterlocks, on the other hand, are achieved by using a special technique to section and twist the hair into small, uniform locks.
Sisterlocks are usually worn by women, while dreadlocks are worn by both men and women. Dreadlocks have often been associated with counterculture or alternative lifestyles, while Sisterlocks are seen as more mainstream.
Sisterlocks are also generally more expensive than dreadlocks, as the installation process is more time-consuming and requires a trained professional.
To sum it up, the main difference between dreadlocks and Sisterlocks is that dreadlocks are larger, less uniform, and less expensive, while Sisterlocks are smaller, more uniform, and more expensive.
How Much Do Sisterlocks Cost?
Sisterlocks are usually installed by a certified sisterlocks consultant. The installation process can take anywhere from two to eight hours, depending on the length and thickness of the hair. The average cost of sisterlocks is between $600 and $1200, but it is important to keep in mind that the price can vary depending on the individual’s hair type and the overall style of the haircut.
How Long Do Sisterlocks Last?
Sisterlocks can last anywhere from a few months to several years, depending on how well they are maintained.
Sisterlocks are a type of dreadlock that is started using a two-strand twisting method instead of the traditional backcombing method.
The two-strand twist method creates a tighter, more uniform loc that is less likely to unravel over time. Sisterlocks are also generally smaller in size than traditional dreadlocks, which means that they require less maintenance.
Pros and Cons of Sisterlocks
There are both pros and cons to having sisterlocks. Some people love them for their low-maintenance style and natural look. Others find them difficult to care for and expensive to install and maintain. Here are a few things to consider if you’re thinking about getting sisterlocks:
- Low-maintenance: Once sisterlocks are installed, they require very little upkeep. You can wash and style your hair as usual, and there is no need to retwist or re-loc every few weeks.
- Natural look: Sisterlocks resemble small, natural dreadlocks, so they can give you a gorgeous, natural look.
- Easy to style: There are many different sisterlocks hairstyles you can try, and they are all relatively easy to do. You can wear your hair up, down, in a bun, or in any style you like.
- Installation is pricey: The initial installation of sisterlocks can be quite costly, depending on the length and thickness of your hair. Prices typically range from $600-$2000.
- Requires a certified consultant: To get sisterlocks, you must go to a certified sisterlocks consultant. This can be difficult to find and may require you to travel some distance.
- Upkeep is time-consuming: While sisterlocks are low-maintenance, they do require some upkeep. You will need to have a follow-up appointment with your consultant every 4-6 weeks to have your locks tightened.
Who can get Sisterlocks?
Whether you’ve been natural for years or are just transitioning, sisterlocks are an excellent choice for anyone who wants to wear their hair in a neat, stylish, and unique way.
While some people may worry that sisterlocks won’t work with their hair type, the truth is that they can be installed on any type of hair – from kinky to straight. The only requirement is that your hair must be at least half an inch long.
If you’re not sure if sisterlocks are right for you, we recommend scheduling a consultation with a certified sisterlocks consultant. They’ll be able to assess your hair and help you decide if sisterlocks are the right choice for you.
How to Install Sisterlocks
Installing Sisterlocks is relatively simple, but it’s important to follow the steps carefully to ensure that the process goes smoothly.
- Consult with a Sisterlocks consultant to discuss your options. This is important to ensure that you’re on the same page about the style you want, as well as to get an idea of pricing.
- Schedule an appointment for your Sisterlocks installation.
- Come to your appointment with clean, dry hair. Your hair must be free of any oils or products that could interfere with the locking process.
- The consultant will divide your hair into small sections and begin twisting each section into a small lock.
- Once all of your hair has been locked, the consultant will trim the locks to a uniform length.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to check the progress of your Sisterlocks and to make any necessary adjustments.
Sisterlocks are a long-term commitment, but the results are worth it! You’ll have a gorgeous set of uniform locs that are easy to care for.
How to Care for Sisterlocks
If you have decided to get sisterlocks, congratulations! This unique hairstyle is not only beautiful, but it is also a great way to wear your natural hair. Sisterlocks are small and uniform locs that are installed in a grid pattern.
The most important thing to remember when you have sisterlocks is that they require special care. Here are some tips on how to care for your new locks:
- Use a sisterlocks-specific shampoo. There are several brands that make sisterlocks-specific shampoo, so find one that you like. This type of shampoo will help to keep your locs clean and healthy.
- Don’t neglect your scalp. Just because your locs are small doesn’t mean that your scalp doesn’t need to be cleaned. Be sure to shampoo your scalp regularly to prevent build-up.
- Moisturize your locs. Sisterlocks are prone to drying out, so it is important to keep them moisturized. Use a lightweight oil or cream to keep your locs hydrated.
- Protect your locs at night. When you sleep, your locs can become tangled and matted. To prevent this, you can wear a satin scarf or bonnet to bed.
- Be gentle with your locs. Remember that your locs are delicate, so handle them with care. Avoid using harsh chemicals or pulling on your locs too tightly.
By following these tips, you can keep your sisterlocks looking gorgeous for months to come!
Some of the Best Styles for Sisterlocks
There are so many gorgeous styles that can be achieved with Sisterlocks. From sleek and straight to curly and voluminous, there is a style to suit everyone’s taste.
Here are just a few of the best styles for Sisterlocks:
- Sleek and straight: This is a classic look that can be achieved by using a flat iron on your Sisterlocks. It is a simple and chic style that can be dressed up or down, depending on the occasion.
- Curly and voluminous: If you are looking for a style that is full of life and personality, then this is the style for you. Curls add volume and depth to your hair, and they can be styled in a variety of ways.
- Updo: An updo is a great option if you want to wear your hair up and out of your face. There are many different updo styles that can be achieved with Sisterlocks, so you can find one that suits your taste and personality.
- Ponytail: A ponytail is a timeless style that can be worn with any outfit. Whether you want a sleek and straight ponytail or a playful and curly one, there is a style to suit you.
- Braided: Braided styles are a great way to add interest and texture to your hair. There are many different braid styles that can be achieved with Sisterlocks, so you can find one that suits your taste.